ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Drag Drop renamer

(1/7) > >>

magician62:
Having looked on the web, I can find noting that fits the bill, so if anyone knows of something that fits the bill, please speak up.

In this modern day, like many, I take photographs, in my case birds. I have in the last year accumulated around 150k pictures, which really could do with better identification. I have already used a number of methods to append the species, but none are overly efficient.

My preference is to put the subject species into the filename.

The current filename format before species is
YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS_IMAGENUMBER.jpg or .nef
After species I get
YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS_IMAGENUMBER_Species_Name.jpg

As to the idea, which should work for just about anything or any filetype.

A variable size window, so a variable number of "tiles" can be created, allowing for multi monitor use.

The tile size would be around 150px. square or variable but the same size for all tiles.

Each tile is in effect a drop zone where a single, or multiple selection of images can be dropped and the assigned rename applied.

Ideally the tile should have the ability to overlay a users supplied image using the full tile, keeping aspect ratio and sizing to longest side.

Under the Tile should be the rename criteria, Ideally without Underscores, but could be user defined.

I envisage a user interface where the user would put the rename criteria

In this interface there would be
A row for each tile which would contain The rename criteria and a link to a source image which would be imported and then saved with the program settings to create the thumbnail on the tile.

Ideally a selector to indicate substitute spaces which in my case is an underscore, but maybe give the user a box to type what they want
A selector to indicate if the above character should be used to separate the rename criteria from original filename.
An option could also select prepend the original filename for those that would like it
These three could be just added as options to the row above. which would allow different affects for different adjustment is people needed it

The ability to save the rename set, so multiple sets for different purposes could be created.

Ideally the rename process might be some form of queue so that it does not interfere with subsequent drops. This would be most beneficial where a 100 or so images need a rename in one drop
Presumptions:
Files may be from multiple locations, but filenames are unique.
Renamed files will remain in their source folders

I have attached an image that gives an idea of the sort of layout (Borrowed from other software)

Hopefully that explains it :)

KodeZwerg:
Hello,

my first idea would be something like this...

a sizeable window
inside window some buttons and two viewpanes
buttons like copy/rename, clear list, sort list, exclude

first view deals as dropzone between app and external (maby looking like explorers report/detailed view)
that view will then contain all dropped files
files will have checkboxes (for .jpg maby a small preview, .nef tells me nothing)
files can be removed from list
files can be pre-renamed in list (you will see (as hint text original name) autogenerated name to have a chance to interact)
files can be excluded if not .jpg or .nef

second view would look like explorers large symbols
where you have buttons to add/edit/remove boxes design
boxes will be displayed as individual image that you define
boxes will have as character a individual destination path
boxes will have endless down scrollbar/refit design on change of window size
boxes have same width+height that you can define somewhere i let you
boxes display images that keep aspect ratio, not stretched to fill box complete
doubleclick/open a box would simply open explorer with destination path, then you have all used to know and handle windows functions avail

multimonitor = i have no idea and can not test, havent got such high equimentent.

copy/remove = what kind of file operation we talking about ? from/to local harddrive ?

is that described that what you are looking for?
to describe what i mean here is a quick montage IDEA: Drag Drop renamer
left side as file drop zone, right side those boxes (in final product with custom image etc... this just explorer icons)

mouser:
This is an interesting idea..

Let me try to summarize the idea:
You want to be able to rename a bunch of files that can be categorized as being one of a set of categories, and where the categories are usually visual in nature and so dragging and dropping onto the visual category would be natural.

May I suggest a slightly different way of going at this that would require hugely less coding and take advantage of existing tools:

If you think of the renaming as taking place in two stages:  First organizing your photos in category FOLDERS, and then renaming files inside folders.
Use your favorite file explorer replacement, with folders in thumbnail mode, to organize your photos.  Just create folders for each category and copy or move images into them.
Then stage 2 is renaming files based on what folder they are in.

A file explorer tool seems built well for your desired use and reinventing the wheel for this would be a considerable amount of work...

magician62:
This is an interesting idea..

Let me try to summarize the idea:
You want to be able to rename a bunch of files that can be categorized as being one of a set of categories, and where the categories are usually visual in nature and so dragging and dropping onto the visual category would be natural.

May I suggest a slightly different way of going at this that would require hugely less coding and take advantage of existing tools:

If you think of the renaming as taking place in two stages:  First organizing your photos in category FOLDERS, and then renaming files inside folders.
Use your favorite file explorer replacement, with folders in thumbnail mode, to organize your photos.  Just create folders for each category and copy or move images into them.
Then stage 2 is renaming files based on what folder they are in.

A file explorer tool seems built well for your desired use and reinventing the wheel for this would be a considerable amount of work...
-mouser (November 02, 2018, 03:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Still thinking over the KodeZwerg response, but to answer you question.

For myself it is all images, but the idea allowed for use by others

Sorting to folders would mean breaking the existing file structure and necessitating it to be rebuilt later.

It also doesn't accommodate images where there is more than one primary subject, as occasionally happens (I hadn't mentioned this as using suffix, I could just process a second time if needed). 

My current method uses a drag drop renamer where i can drag from various locations sometimes using wildcard view, and drop into the utility, then process. The util does allow multiple instances but there is only so much space available where you can still access the start button. So often limited to 9 or at best 18 options, but that uses up 2 monitors

Using the method you suggest would likely be slower than the existing method after adding back the original structure.

Also working on a starting structure containing over 150K files and potentially 3-10k being added a week, it is growing quite quickly and is already onto a second 2TB drive

mouser:
Sorting to folders would mean breaking the existing file structure and necessitating it to be rebuilt later.
--- End quote ---
That's a good point, I didn't think of that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version