ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

In some folder other than desktop, freeze icon placement

<< < (3/5) > >>

wraith808:
wraith808, Windows 10 Pro.  There is still that feature, to arrange and place your icons as desired, within each folder.

But, as said, as spotty as hell.  Pathetic.  Hit and miss.  Sometimes saved, mostly forgotten.

That's why a third-party solution is called for.  Microsoft engineers have other things requesting their attention.

By the way, icon arrangements appear to be held at the following registry location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\

But not at all easy to understand.  Coded.  Take a peek.

Theoretically one might be able to 'Export' that branch of the registry tree in order to save folder icon positions.  Then 'Import' back in to re-establish.

Trouble is, nearly EVERYTHING in the entire system regarding icon positionings is included there.  Each and every folder.  On all hard disks.  Plus extra stuff for good measure.

-nkormanik (October 30, 2018, 12:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

How are you doing it?  I don't see that option.

In some folder other than desktop, freeze icon placement

UPDATE: Ok, so I see that it has been gone since Windows 7.  There is a way to enable it with a registry file.  That's probably the reason that it's buggy - it's not meant to be used.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_files/manually-arrange-folders-windows-10/c8b86bc9-e3dd-4abe-9ad2-6fb29e2168c1

http://www.unawave.de/windows-7-tipps/disable-sorting-auto-arrange.html?lang=EN

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files-winpc/how-to-disable-auto-arrange-on-folders-in-windows/886e1742-b00f-47d3-b6a8-23ab277cfcc3?auth=1

I thought I was going crazy for a sec.

nkormanik:
Best approach for now regarding the objective of providing more 'desktop-like' working space in which to carefully arrange icons, etc., is to create additional desktops.

Windows directly allows this.  Google for instructions to change desktop folder.

In order to change desktops one has to log-off and back on.  New desktop will then be in effect.

After one finishes working on new desktop, one can use the same procedure to go back to original desktop.

DesktopOK works with whatever the current desktop is.  So just save icon positioning within each as wanted.

Skwire, another one done.

wraith808:
Best approach for now regarding the objective of providing more 'desktop-like' working space in which to carefully arrange icons, etc., is to create additional desktops.

Windows directly allows this.  Google for instructions to change desktop folder.

In order to change desktops one has to log-off and back on.  New desktop will then be in effect.

After one finishes working on new desktop, one can use the same procedure to go back to original desktop.

DesktopOK works with whatever the current desktop is.  So just save icon positioning within each as wanted.

Skwire, another one done.

-nkormanik (October 31, 2018, 08:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

You don't even have to do that.  If you're going to go to that extreme, see Lintalist's answer above.  Virtual desktops would do it for you without having to log off.

nkormanik:
Virtual desktops seem not to provide new 'canvases' on which to work and organize your projects.  Virtual desktops appear to be mostly for separating open windows and running programs.

Unless I missed something.

If anyone knows of a program that provides new clear desktops or folders, on which one can carefully place icons, etc., and re-establish as desired, please let me know.

As said before, strikes me as absurd that such doesn't already exist.

wraith808:
Virtual desktops seem not to provide new 'canvases' on which to work and organize your projects.  Virtual desktops appear to be mostly for separating open windows and running programs.

Unless I missed something.

If anyone knows of a program that provides new clear desktops or folders, on which one can carefully place icons, etc., and re-establish as desired, please let me know.

As said before, strikes me as absurd that such doesn't already exist.

-nkormanik (November 01, 2018, 01:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/desktops

This does exactly what you want.  And it's free.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version