ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Rename Open File in Windows

<< < (2/6) > >>

tomos:
Good question though -- what exactly is IrfanView doing (didnt even know it had that capablity).

If I'm downloading a PDF I will open it directly, rather than save, and then Crtl+Shift+S will allow me to save it with new and/or modified name.
Software tends to remember where you last saved and go directly there, which is mostly convenient. (I use Adobe Reader as PDF viewer.)
Depending on your browser, opening directly can be made the default behaviour (in Pale Moon here, clicking a PDF link will open the Open/Save dialogue with 'Open with' selected by default, I just have to press return).

As I say, a workaround, throwing it out there as it might meet OP requirements.

bardman:
Yeah. I can do a 'Save As' in Adobe Acrobat and the rename is no issue. Apparently, the 'Save As' obviously does not have a restriction for renaming an open file in contrast to just renaming the file via right-click.

bardman:
Well, two problems and two solutions.
Two Problems:
1st: how should my Application know wich file you want to rename?
2nd: has mentioned wraith808, open files cannot be renamed.

Solution 1: if i know how to solve 1st problem: use a copy command instead of file move.
Collect names that you renamed into a list.
Set this list to be deleted on a buttonpress or on next OS reboot.

Solution 2: I could write a Pdf Viewer which let me set Filename. (needs a bit longer to code)

Question: Interested in one of my Ideas?
-KodeZwerg (October 28, 2018, 01:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Howdy KodeZwerg,

I wasn't actually expecting a response until 2019?

But problem 1 could be a drag and drop or browse to the particular file. That copy command works beautifully, yes even with the file open via command line or direct copying! Of course, now I am doing more than needs to be done just to rename it. I open the file to obtain the actual name of the document.

I think a quick and dirty app is all that is needed as opposed Solution 2.

So general workflow:
1. Open PDF file in Adobe Acrobat (of course other PDF viewers are options)
2. Most times I copy the general title of the file from the text within the file
3. Drag and Drop the file or browse to select it in the Rename Open File app
4. Have the option to type in or paste in the copied title
5. Instant billionaire for such a useful and simple Windows app

Thank you

skwire:
Yeah. I can do a 'Save As' in Adobe Acrobat and the rename is no issue. Apparently, the 'Save As' obviously does not have a restriction for renaming an open file in contrast to just renaming the file via right-click.-bardman (October 28, 2018, 06:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

A "Save as..." operation creates a copy of the open file, i.e., it doesn't rename the original, open file.

You'd have to have a PDF application that streamed it all into a temporary file or memory and then released the file in order to make that work.  And in that case, Windows would allow it to be renamed without a special program to do so.-wraith808 (October 28, 2018, 01:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

SumatraPDF allows for this and also has a "Rename" option within its own file menu or by pressing F2.  If you choose this option and rename a file, SumatraPDF will rename it and then re-open the PDF with the new filename.  In fact, if you open a PDF file in SumatraPDF and then rename it outside of SumatraPDF, it detects this and its internal "Rename" menu entry becomes greyed out.  At that point, you have to use the "Save As..." option.  FWIW, I use the rename feature all the time for the same reasons as the original poster.

@bardman:  Rather than creating an app for this, is it possible for you to just switch to using SumatraPDF?

tomos:
Yeah. I can do a 'Save As' in Adobe Acrobat and the rename is no issue. Apparently, the 'Save As' obviously does not have a restriction for renaming an open file in contrast to just renaming the file via right-click.
-bardman (October 28, 2018, 06:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

yes, but note (as Skwire says above) it creates a copy -- if you have downloaded it directly to e.g. Adobe Acrobat, the original is in the Temp folder, your 'save as' will save a copy of that wherever you choose.
This (and/or the Sumatra solution in Skwire's post above) seems to make an app unnecessary (?)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version