ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > LaunchBar Commander

One config for x86 and x64

(1/3) > >>

towlerg:
I Love LBC, lost without it.

I have several PCs (weeeee lucky me) both x86 and x64. %ProgramFiles% wiii find c:\Program files on a x86 machine and C:\Program files (x86) on a x64 machine but NOT both C:\Program files and C:\Program files (x86).

I have some apps ie. Notepad++ runs as x86 on one machine and x64 on the other. Is there any way to have a LBC setup that will work in both cases?

Ath:
You're saying you have x86 Notepad++ on x64 Windows? That's quite common as not all npp plugins seem to work properly in an x64 install, so x86 npp is usually the wisest/safest choice.
Guess you'll have to play with the other %programfiles*% environment variables, or run npp from a batch file that validates where the exe is actually found and starts it from there.

4wd:
Regarding running programs via a script/batch file, an alternative would be to run LBC via batch/script that checks the architecture of the OS and sets an environment variable with the appropriate path for the architecture.

Then preface those executables that can be either 32 or 64 bit with that variable rather than %programfiles%.

mouser:
Hmm this is an interesting point.

I'm assuming you are talking about when you create a LBC node to show the contents of a folder?

You can specify multiple folders to list the contents of by using a | character between them, so you could specify for the folder contents the directories explicitly:
c:\Program files | C:\Program files (x86)

And that should do it..

But I could make the %ProgramFiles% expand to do that automatically..

Can you confirm that this is what we're talking about?

Ath:
Regarding running programs via a script/batch file, an alternative would be to run LBC via batch/script that checks the architecture of the OS and sets an environment variable with the appropriate path for the architecture.

Then preface those executables that can be either 32 or 64 bit with that variable rather than %programfiles%.
-4wd (October 22, 2018, 05:03 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well, as the OP already stated, Windows does a fine job there, it's only 'problematic' when x86 apps are used on an x64 OS where there is also an x64 version of that same app available and in use, and configs should be shared.
I think @mouser is on the right track already.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version