ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Scot Finnie finally decides on an antivirus solution...

<< < (2/6) > >>

f0dder:
Sounds like the guy needs a little pat on the back and a candyfloss.

zridling:
Scot's a good guy, but I think you should not mix Mac and PC reporting and advice. Heck, just choose one, or better, compose separate newsletters. He's a Mac guy now, and he should dive into that side of computing. Since I will never use a Mac — although I have in the past, from 1984-86, the "good ol' days — I really could care less what the latest greatest development for OS X or Apple Laptop or iPod is.

f0dder:
Well, IMHO it depends on how good you are at separating things. That's pretty hard wrt. Mac vs. Windows, though (and hell, throw in linux and it gets worse), because there's so many emotions and so much zealotry involved.

If somebody could succeed in having being relatively objective and have, say, mostly windows stuff, but a fair mix of OS-X/linux/*bsd ... then the result could actually be pretty interesting articles

Oh well, don't know the Scott guy so I can't tell how he's doing it. Is any of his stuff worth reading? :)

JavaJones:
Hmm, I've only gotten 2 of his newsletters and read a few of his other articles (started subscription after his "20 things you'll hate about Vista" article), but I've not found it to be overly Mac-heavy *at all*. In fact I would tend to agree with him that it's more Vista-heavy than anything, which is interesting but not necessarily what I'd like to be getting the most of in terms of content.

He does mention some Mac stuff in I think every newsletter these days but I'm fine with that. I really don't think a "one or the other" attitude is particularly good either. If nothing else both sides have things to learn from each other. I played around a lot on a Mac Classic many years ago, but since then I've really disliked Mac's for the most part. There are lots of little issues that bug the crap out of me. OS X made improvements and brought fixes for some of those issues, but a lot still remain. My biggest continues to be the basic attitude of Apple and many of its users. Nonetheless I strongly considered buying an Apple machine recently because I am just really interested in seeing what OS X gets *right* and what could/should be done in other OS's. I'm interested in general in good OS design and I think Apple has a lot of really good ideas and implementation. If you disagree, that's a position that should be reasonably defended; if you agree then how could you willfully ignore an entire storehouse of potentially good ideas? We're not all OS developers of course, but it's good to have a reference point, a benchmark, something to inspire our feature requests for the apps and OS's we do use. I think if nothing else Mac's are good for that. Oh yes, and then there's Bootcamp... ;)

- Oshyan

Sugar:
I've read Scott til a year ago.  I, too, felt he was boring but I'm not sure I'd say THAT part to someone.  One has great difficulty changing how they are as a person.

Re: AVG, I've used it for at least 4 years and like it a lot. It updates daily, hasn't left me in the cold, virusy world out there and simply works like an antivirus should. :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version