ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Big Hack: How China Used a Tiny Chip to Infiltrate U.S. Companies

(1/3) > >>

mouser:
Nice long cool article: "The Big Hack: How China Used a Tiny Chip to Infiltrate U.S. Companies"

In 2015, Amazon.com Inc. began quietly evaluating a startup called Elemental Technologies, a potential acquisition to help with a major expansion of its streaming video service, known today as Amazon Prime Video...
Nested on the servers’ motherboards, the testers found a tiny microchip, not much bigger than a grain of rice, that wasn’t part of the boards’ original design. Amazon reported the discovery to U.S. authorities, sending a shudder through the intelligence community. Elemental’s servers could be found in Department of Defense data centers, the CIA’s drone operations, and the onboard networks of Navy warships. And Elemental was just one of hundreds of Supermicro customers... During the ensuing top-secret probe, which remains open more than three years later, investigators determined that the chips allowed the attackers to create a stealth doorway into any network that included the altered machines. Multiple people familiar with the matter say investigators found that the chips had been inserted at factories run by manufacturing subcontractors in China.

--- End quote ---

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-10-04/the-big-hack-how-china-used-a-tiny-chip-to-infiltrate-america-s-top-companies

wraith808:
None of that has been proven though.  It's going to be a big problem- Bloomberg is not giving out sources, and no one is confirming.  Could end up with egg (and the SEC) on Bloomberg's face if this is proven to be false.

NetRunner:
Could end up with egg (and the SEC) on Bloomberg's face if this is proven to be false.
-wraith808 (October 04, 2018, 11:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

If a joke cost Elon Musk 20KK, I wonder how much that would turn up to be.

YannickDa:
Bloomberg now spreading "fake news" : where are the proofs ?

Looks like a conspiracy theory to me.

Mass-media headlines to throw the people into psychosis; now there are the "Good conspiracy theories" and the wrong ones...

"Russians plot to destabilize the U.S.A. !!!" -> Good conspiracy theory
"Chinese hackers penetrating D.O.D. servers !!!" -> Good conspiracy theory

But N.S.A. spying on everyone turns out to be "fake news" leaked by traitor E. Snowden being a russian asset working for the Kremlin.
Ha ! "Wrong conspiracy theory" ! You're a sick nut if you believe that !  :tellme:

wraith808:
Bloomberg now spreading "fake news" : where are the proofs ?
-YannickDa (October 05, 2018, 12:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

I wouldn't go so far as to label it fake at this time.  But I definitely have a hard time believing it without proof or corroboration, and the government isn't going to corroborate the vector by which they were hacked if indeed they were.  It's a hard place to be in, journalistically.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version