ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

"If you don't steal [from the commons] you are stealing from your family".

(1/2) > >>

NetRunner:
Searching for "game theory" I saw some old discussions, so maybe some people here will appreciate this blog post (I know I did):

Anti-social Punishment

Small commentary after reading it:

The main hypothesis suggested, if true, would offers some good insights to the behavior of my neighbors. The number of free raiders among them is astonishing [to me] and, like just like the author described, if you try to guide them to contribute, they will punish you (including with ostracism - sometimes until you are so poor that your only option then becomes to free raid too). Crabs in the bucket, really.

But, paraphrasing the author: what's so bad about being ostracized by free-riders after all? Sure, before the internet became widespread, that would be a hard hit, but these days, one can easily find good online communities with good people, so the "punishment" is a lot less severe in some fronts.

tomos:
Very interesting blog post :up:

anandcoral:
But, paraphrasing the author: what's so bad about being ostracized by free-riders after all? Sure, before the internet became widespread, that would be a hard hit, but these days, one can easily find good online communities with good people, so the "punishment" is a lot less severe in some fronts.
-NetRunner (October 01, 2018, 04:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes. Spread of free or cheap internet and many online activities has helped us geeks who were 'unsocial' few years ago to become 'social' again. In fact nothing changed for us but the 'others' thinking towards us :)

Regards,

Anand

Deozaan:
But, paraphrasing the author: what's so bad about being ostracized by free-riders after all?
-NetRunner (October 01, 2018, 04:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Some people are really petty and will do everything in their power to ruin your life over perceived offenses.

wraith808:
All I have to say to that article is wow.  I couldn't believe that it wasn't fiction.  Thanks for sharing!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version