ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

EU to Stop Summer (or is it Winter) Time

(1/3) > >>

tomos:
There's been a bit of discussion about stopping the clocks going back/forward within the EU.
I can only one find one site reporting the decision on Friday to go ahead with scrapping summer -- or will it be winter -- time. The site appears to be reputable. Possibly the decision was made late Friday when all other reporters were already in the pub. Or something.

EU to stop changing the clocks in 2019

It's not clearly stated, but sounds possible that each country will decide whether they go with summer or winter time :-/

I've read that coding for time is difficult. Sounds like it may get even more complex in 2019.
Me, I look forward to it -- hope they go with summer time.

KynloStephen66515:
Saw something about this a few months ago with the head of the EU bitching and moaning that there is no need for it and they the entire EU should be unified on the exact same time "to make trade easier" (Cause no company in the world has any idea how to trade with a country in a different timezone, apparently).

People wonder why the UK voted to leave, and countries like Italy are on the edge...it's for stupidity like this.  They want to do stuff simply for the hell of it, with no actual thought process involved lol.  Clocks going back/forwards is something everybody is fully used to.  It happens twice a year, and for the majority of us...has done for our entire lives... :-\

tomos:
and they the entire EU should be unified on the exact same time "to make trade easier"
-Stephen66515 (September 16, 2018, 06:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

I dont believe this is the goal here Stephen -- they are not scrapping time zones.

4wd:
and they the entire EU should be unified on the exact same time "to make trade easier"
--- End quote ---

I dont believe this is the goal here Stephen -- they are not scrapping time zones.
-tomos (September 16, 2018, 06:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

No, they are making them a joke ... what's the point in a time zone if they're not going to use them?

Personally think the need for DST has long since past.

tomos:
Personally think the need for DST has long since past.
-4wd (September 16, 2018, 06:41 AM)
--- End quote ---
agreed -- just because it's 'always' been there is no reason for it actually being there.

--- End quote ---

-tomos (September 16, 2018, 06:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

No, they are making them a joke ... what's the point in a time zone if they're not going to use them?
-4wd (September 16, 2018, 06:41 AM)
--- End quote ---
well, yeah, if they allow each country to decide which time they want, it will be the equivalent of a patchwork of time zones. So could be the opposite of what Stephen was suggesting :-/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version