ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Recent Blog Discussions of Open Source Donations, etc.

<< < (3/3)

app103:
Open source has nothing to do with the price of the software...it only has to do with the source code of that software.

Many confuse the term "open source" to mean freeware.

It's not. It's software in which you are entitled to the source code, entitled to change that source, and entitled to redistribute that software, providing you give the source to those that receive it.

Nowhere in there does it say that the programmers should starve themselves while coding it and nowhere does it say they have to give their work away for free.

Why do people get confused and think that open source software is a type of freeware? Because many open source projects are freeware/donationware.

But not all are free. There are some where you only receive the source once you buy the product. And this is OK, and it's still in the spirit of true open source software. And those projects are the ones most likely to survive because they force you to give back something.

In the true spirit of open source is a concept of sharing. In any sharing relationship, it won't last if one does all the giving and the other does all the taking and giving nothing back. It leaves the first party feeling unappreciated, taken advantage of, and totally drained.

If someone shares with you, etiquette says you should share something back with the giver...become a giver yourself. Etiquette says you ARE obligated. Everything has a price...no exceptions.

There is no such thing as a 'free lunch'. At the very least you should 'kiss the cook'.

Even if you are broke, you can share something in return for what was shared with you. It is the only right thing to do. Think about it for awhile and I am sure you can come up with an idea or two on how to do this.

And if the software is making you money, you better damn well share the wealth with the reason why you are making money. Otherwise you are not only being a stingy miser, you are exploiting people for your own personal gain. (There is a name for people like that but I won't say it because this is supposed to be a family friendly forum.)

If everyone that uses free open source software actually gave something back to these projects then the quality would rival or even exceed the payware versions of similar products and we would all come out as winners...the developers and consumers alike.

It is up to you, the user, to determine the best way to give back, and be generous about it, no matter what it is that you are giving. Try to give back equal to what you received.

If you love it, support it...it's that simple.

Takers may eat better...but givers sleep better.

Rover:
So app, are you agreeing that Jeff is full of it?  His claim is that using the software is the best kind of payment.

Any BTW you are 100% correct.  Open Source != Free Software

JavaJones:
You know, an interesting - albeit obvious - thought occurs to me: Remember all the discussion about sliding scale pricing and general price reduction on the "Why is so much software cracked" thread? In a sense donationware is the realization of that. If you find a good donationware or open source project that takes donations, and it is clear it's well-maintained and that the developer reinvests support in the app, then donating to that app could essentially be like buying its future. You contribute to The GIMP and it gets a bit closer to Photoshop perhaps? This would only work for well-maintained, long-term (stable) projects, and would work best in conjunction with feedback to the developer on features you want, but it makes some sense. There's more to it that's percolating in my brain but it's not quite digested yet. ;)

- Oshyan

mouser:
another related post:
http://mikeomatic.net/?p=44

app103:
So app, are you agreeing that Jeff is full of it?  His claim is that using the software is the best kind of payment.
-Rover (August 03, 2006, 11:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

I sure am glad I am not his wife, with the way he shows gratitude.   :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version