ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

FREE Affinity Publisher BETA available

<< < (2/3) > >>

wraith808:
I hope that it's going to read InDesign files, it can't right now.
-cranioscopical (August 30, 2018, 08:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think that the old ones did.  It's also one of the reasons that I think that I'm going to end up just going with a subscription.  It doesn't even support PagePlus files right now.  They suggest exporting to PDF and then importing.  It's been reported to work fine, but I'm skeptical.

UPDATE: Looking on the forums, Chris_K from Affinity affirms "It's not possible yet, plans to be able to in the future".  Now, what comes of that is to be seen.

He also says when asked about a timeline, "I can't give any timelines for this. It's being worked and will be in an update when it is considered working and relatively stable. But I would be talking more than a few weeks in not months, It's not a simple thing to just implement."

But, reading on, more troubling is this response from him to someone else, "We will not be able to import indesign files on initial release but it is something we are looking to do in the future. For the print optoins my best advice is to go and explore what options we have available already and see if they suit your needs, they are all contained within our print dialog"

What does on release mean? On commercial release?  Or is he just talking about the beta?  Hmmm....

Deozaan:
I hope that it's going to read InDesign files, it can't right now.
-cranioscopical (August 30, 2018, 08:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's a planned feature: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/65038-how-can-i-open-indesign-indd-and-idml-files-in-publisher/&do=findComment&comment=337084

cranioscopical:
They suggest exporting to PDF and then importing
-wraith808 (August 30, 2018, 08:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
I see that. I'll play around with some files and see how that flies. A three-cornered process is quite a stumbling block for me though.

The trouble with subscription services is that when the subscription ends you have no software. Adobe Creative Suites were expensive but the software lasts until advances in the field become 'must haves' and overwhelm the lack of updates. Having subscribed to Photoshop I've now dropped it and returned to my CS6 version - no problem for me, so far.

cranioscopical:
FWIW
I tried the InDesign to PDF to Publisher method. It went quite well. I tried a document with 41 layers. That was perfectly usable. I had expected to lose some otf font attributes but they remained intact.

wraith808:
They suggest exporting to PDF and then importing
-wraith808 (August 30, 2018, 08:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
I see that. I'll play around with some files and see how that flies. A three-cornered process is quite a stumbling block for me though.

The trouble with subscription services is that when the subscription ends you have no software. Adobe Creative Suites were expensive but the software lasts until advances in the field become 'must haves' and overwhelm the lack of updates. Having subscribed to Photoshop I've now dropped it and returned to my CS6 version - no problem for me, so far.
-cranioscopical (August 31, 2018, 10:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've come to view it differently with things that are used for professional work.  That's an accepted expense for me for work.  Paying monthly, even if it's more expensive in the long run helps with the idea of a large expense coming when you don't expect it.  I just budget for it.  I'd prefer something like Jetbrains where after a certain amount of time subbing you get a perpetual license for whatever version of the software you're running if you have to quit your subscription.  But it's worked out for me so far.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version