ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

Polywick Story Server

<< < (4/6) > >>

IainB:
But the InfoQube learning curve is still as daunting as ever.
-pulphero (August 23, 2018, 07:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
It may seem daunting, but getting good use out of Ecco would seem to necessitate that you have an Ecco mechanic on hand to follow you around everywhere, to support Ecco's kludgy idiosyncrasies.
Six of one and half a dozen of the other.

PPLandry:
It may seem daunting, but getting good use out of Ecco would seem to necessitate that you have an Ecco mechanic on hand to follow you around everywhere, to support Ecco's kludgy idiosyncrasies.
-IainB (August 23, 2018, 09:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
Nan nah nah, you guys have this all wrong... Both Ecco and InfoQube are dead simple.
The database contains items and each item can have any number of user-defined values. Other than values, items have parents and children. That's it !
Grid / notepads / calendar and other UIs show a sub-set of all items in the database, based on their values.
The rest is icing on the cake, to ease viewing / filtering / sorting these items.

(Similarities between IQ and this tread: of all posts ever written on DC, this thread shows a list of posts that share something... in this case, they share a parent subject)

pulphero:
I'd love to get a version of InfoQube - maybe a "beginner's version - stripped of all the layers of complexity, all the features that appeal to subsets of the main market, and then start with that. Maybe the time is past for a desktop outliner, what with Workflowy and Dynalist so robust, but something that takes the roots of TkOutline, NoteMap, and one or two other well-done (for their day) single-pane outliners, adds a modern policy, and puts it on the market would get an order from me ASAP.

cicerosc:
I am posting mainly to be sure I get notifications.

As to Infoqube, I can testify that Infoqube's latest incarnations are much easier to follow than in the past, so I highly recommend it. 

Just be aware that PPL targets a much more elaborate program than simply an outliner, and he includes gantt charts, calendar functions, and many other database-focused features. 

For example, in PPL's screen shot, you see how in fact Infoqube can be made to look much like Ecco - but as in his screen shot, Infoqube does not have a close equivalent to Ecco's "tree / folder" view, which is what we see in the left column of the Story Server screenshots.  Over the years I think I've finally realized that I really don't need that tree view, but coming from Ecco that was something that  threw me back for a long time.  Ecco's strength for me is as more of a "single-pane" outliner, and Infoqube does that fine.

I think there's room for both approaches -- PPL's AND an outliner-focused reincarnation of the Ecco paradigm with modern technology

Not sure about the name, however.  "Story Server?"  :-)

But let me close with a big "thank you!" to the Story Server developer, and please keep up the good work!

rjbull:
Maybe the time is past for a desktop outliner, what with Workflowy and Dynalist so robust, but something that takes the roots of TkOutline, NoteMap, and one or two other well-done (for their day) single-pane outliners, adds a modern policy-pulphero (August 24, 2018, 11:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe Inspiration?  - not tried by me and not much mentioned on DC, but a mature program; been around for ten years at least.  Their claims:
For visual mapping, outlining, writing and making presentations, use Inspiration® 9, the ultimate thinking and learning tool. Brainstorm ideas, structure your thoughts and visually communicate concepts to strengthen understanding with the Diagram and Map Views. To take notes, organize information, and structure writing for plans, papers and reports, use the integrated Outline View to focus on main and supporting ideas and to clarify thinking in written form. With Inspiration's Presentation Manager, transform your diagrams, mind maps and outlines into polished presentations that communicate ideas clearly and demonstrate understanding and knowledge.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version