ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How do I go about putting my software's source code into the public domain?

<< < (3/4) > >>

skwire:
They only bought it for one reason. To have access to all of that code whenever they please.
-dmd7978 (August 19, 2018, 02:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is FUD and nothing else.
-Tuxman (August 19, 2018, 02:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

I absolutely agree with Tuxman.  It was a public open-source repository before Microsoft bought it.  In other words, prior to their purchase, they already had access to all of the code anytime they pleased.

KynloStephen66515:
They only bought it for one reason. To have access to all of that code whenever they please.
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I absolutely agree with Tuxman.  It was a public open-source repository before Microsoft bought it.  In other words, prior to their purchase, they already had access to all of the code anytime they pleased.
-skwire (August 19, 2018, 08:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Adding to this, I explained to him earlier in another thread that Microsoft are one of the biggest Open Source contributors on GitHub and have done more good than bad for the service (by releasing things like VSCode and such).

*edit*

ahha...mouser didn't delete that thread yet so I can paste what I said here!

I mean - This was a huge story in the programming community when it happened, and has made absolutely no difference to how GitHub has worked since the takeover.  Microsoft have actually been doing some big things in the Open Source community and has produced a huge amount of code and such which is now available for anybody to use. 

In my opinion, M$ taking over GitHub has done no harm, and has actually served quite well.  It has also given them the direct ability to link GitHub to their programming suites (such as Visual Studio) meaning a much easier way to manage ones code.  That and the fact that Microsoft are probably one of the biggest contributors to the Open Source community right now (with offerings such as Visual Studio Code being open source).

A huge company buying things like this don't always have to mean doom and gloom.  ;)
--- End quote ---

KodeZwerg:
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
:Thmbsup:

@dmd7978: github or no github, as soon as you publish somewhere Microsoft Agents will hunt it and make millions with that *laugh*
What i meant to say: as soon as you put your work somewhere, everyone can access. If this is a problem, dont publish.

anandcoral:
dmd7978, let me explain. When you are giving some charity, do not try to judge the people lining for it.
If you are putting something in public domain, the all 'public' has access to it, including rich and poor.

Anyway, I suggest make zip file of your code, make some screen shots, write some description and put it here in DC Forum. Follow Skrommel. Take advise of Mouser.

Regards,

Anand

Nod5:
It was a public open-source repository before Microsoft bought it.  In other words, prior to their purchase, they already had access to all of the code anytime they pleased.
-skwire (August 19, 2018, 08:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
Not all, since paid GitHub plans also include the option to create private repos.

So far there seem to be no change in how GitHub operates. But it isn't unreasonable to worry about longer term changes. For some such worries, see 
https://developers.slashdot.org/story/18/06/04/0935200/microsofts-interest-in-buying-github-draws-backlash-from-developers 
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-05426-0

I wonder what will happen to GitHub's Atom now given that it is a competitor to Microsoft's Visual Studio Code.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version