ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How do I go about putting my software's source code into the public domain?

<< < (2/4) > >>

dmd7978:
I think it is time for me to put my software, Splinter DC Splinter page , into the public domain. I doubt I am ever going to be able to work on/with it, anymore. I would rather have it expanded upon and be bettered by better folks, than me, then to not due to me wanting to keep the source secret. Maybe some type of "centrallized" location that I would be able to visit and see how it is progressing... -dmd7978 (August 19, 2018, 03:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Think through if a public domain license is what you want or if some other license is a better fit. https://choosealicense.com/ is a useful resource.

This page https://choosealicense.com/licenses/ places licenses on a spectrum of openness. The Unlicense at the bottom of the page is what many mean by public domain. If you want to ensure ability to access the source code of software derivative of your work then you could pick a more open license than the Unlicense. FWIW I tend to use GPLv3.

It is easy to set up a GitHub account. If you mostly want to do a one time upload of the code to your own repository then you can probably do that through the web interface without even installing a git client.
-Nod5 (August 19, 2018, 02:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks. I will definitely look into the licensing. As far as Github, no way, no chance. I just read that they were purchased by Microsoft last January. The last place any developer, on Earth, should be putting their source code is on a website owned by Microsoft. They only bought it for one reason. To have access to all of that code whenever they please. It is like the cookie monster buying a cookie factory

Tuxman:
They only bought it for one reason. To have access to all of that code whenever they please.
-dmd7978 (August 19, 2018, 02:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is FUD and nothing else.

Deozaan:
There's also gitlab.com and bitbucket.org

Tuxman:
And hub.darcs.net.

wraith808:
They only bought it for one reason. To have access to all of that code whenever they please.
-dmd7978 (August 19, 2018, 02:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is FUD and nothing else.
-Tuxman (August 19, 2018, 02:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Totally agree!  They bought it because they're getting into the OSS space.  They had access to the source already, as everything else there is already public, so if they did it for that reason, they'd be stupid to spend all that money.  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version