ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do Not Buy a Smartwatch Right Now

<< < (4/4)

wraith808:
I have the Apple watch series 3 and have used it in the pool here at my complex and at the beach without any issues. It's been great and I have no plans on getting the series 4
-c.gingerich (September 13, 2018, 12:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think the points are threefold - (a) you're comparing two different kinds of watches, (b) IP68 is better than just splashes, and (c) up until after release 1, Apple watches were actually worse than this watch.  It's all about paying for what you want, and they do have a watch that is pretty comparable for a lot less- it's just not this one.

4wd:
I have the Apple watch series 3 and have used it in the pool here at my complex and at the beach without any issues.-c.gingerich (September 13, 2018, 12:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

From a purely technical point of view, comparing apples and oranges:

* Amazfit BIP: IP68, rated for total immersion below 1m.
* Apple Watch 3: Water Resistant to 5ATM under ISO 22810.
There's no such thing as a waterproof watch as defined by ISO standards, water resistant is the best you'll get because at some point water will get in.

ISO 22810w, (we'll have to rely on Wiki here since you have to buy ISO standards):
Water Resistant 5 atm or 50 m: Suitable for everyday use. Splash/rain resistant. Not suitable for showering, bathing, swimming, snorkeling, water related work, fishing, and diving.

So you're comparing an electronic device IP rated for total immersion against a watch ISO rated as being splash/rain resistant - that kind of turned the argument on its head, didn't it ;)

4wd:
Some info on the SnapDragon Wear 3100 courtesy of XDA Developers:

https://www.xda-developers.com/qualcomm-snapdragon-wear-3100-wear-os-smartwatch/
https://www.xda-developers.com/next-smartwatch-qualcomm-snapdragon-wear-3100/

davidqxo:
RE the AmazFit BIP, I use my Pebble to bluetooth control my Android phone's music apps when I teach Argentine tango. Does the AmazFit BIP have that ability?

4wd:
RE the AmazFit BIP, I use my Pebble to bluetooth control my Android phone's music apps when I teach Argentine tango. Does the AmazFit BIP have that ability?-davidqxo (December 03, 2018, 09:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Don't know about the "official" MiFit app but Notify & Fitness for AmazFit lets you set the unlock button to control various things.

The touch screen on the BIP is really only to move through the firmware apps - it is not a "SmartWatch" in that it runs an OS that you can load whatever apps you like on it, it's a fitness tracker with extra functions.
As such the only control that 3rd party programmers can really access is the screen unlock button, hence the 1, 2, or 3 pushes selection above.

You'd be better off sticking with your current method or just buying a cheap Bluetooth remote for music control.

EDIT: Amazfit Pace allows music control of BT connected phones and also has onboard music storage/playback, so no phone needed at all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version