ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Where is Win 10 hiding background pictures?

(1/3) > >>

Curt:
Former title: Where is Win 10 hiding wallpapers?
------------------------------------------------

I wanted to test a wallpaper-changing program on my PC, x64 Windows 10 Home, so I went to desktop right-click > Private Settings > Background > Background > Picture (not Slideshow or Color, but Image / Photo / Picture), and was chocked to see a picture of my ex!! Understand that I know for sure that I deleted this picture long ago, and I am not aware of any copy anywhere on my PC! Nevertheless, Explorer presented me with the option to have her be my wallpaper again, so somewhere there obviously is a copy! The picture is only available via Settings..., it is not saved in the normal Pictures folder, or in any public folder. I have searched for several hours, but I haven't found any option to navigate to this particular picture, or to delete it.

In the old days (incl. Win 7), any wallpaper would be wallpaper.bmp, but nowadays I am unable to find where Windows is hiding the (backgrounds and) wallpapers. Of course the official address for me is C:\Users\Curt\Pictures , but as I said, I have long time ago deleted the original of that particular picture, so it isn't there, now!

Do you have any idea where Windows might be hiding this picture? :tellme:

rgdot:
When I make an image a wallpaper (from Firefox's 'Set as background' for example)

It is C:\Users\RG\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\CachedFiles\

Curt:
yeah, but no.
Yeah, that is where (the cache of) the wallpaper of the moment is.  :up:
But No, that is not from Private Settings > Background > Background > Picture ~ Choose Your Picture

3 of the other available 5 pictures to choose from, are from Microsoft Windows itself. On a new setup, they would of course all 5 be from Microsoft.

:tellme:

KodeZwerg:
Another Location could be "c:\Windows\Web\" with its sub-folders.

C:\Users\RG\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\CachedFiles\-rgdot (August 14, 2018, 09:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thats same for non-Firefox Wallpaper functions.

KodeZwerg:
Sorry, after re-reading i hope i have what you want.
Open Registry Editor (RegEdit.exe) and go to "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Wallpapers"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version