ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Coding Snacks

Custom WinPE build

<< < (3/6) > >>

ichimitch:

If an absolute bare-bones Windows installation is what you after, you should look at how musicians set up their Windows-based studio. Those persons have a much better understanding of what hardware combinations work and all the services/functionality you must strip from Windows that create these processor "hick-ups". Normally you barely notice interruptions in the flow of information that your eyes/ears receive from the computer, but when the soul purpose is to record the best quality sound without any interruption from either hardware or software, you install only the bare minimum of extra software and strip all surplus from that computer.

-Shades (August 07, 2018, 01:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks. Do you know where the best place would be to look for examples of this? A link to a forum maybe?

After taking a brief look at Launchbox and Kalla, my personal preference would be Kalla, because of its cleaner, deceivingly simpler look. While Launchbox appears to have more expansion options, Kalla works with PC's, Mac's and raspberry Pi or similar devices. If looked at pure gaming experience, I think both systems are pretty evenly matched.

--- End quote ---

I hadn't heard of Kalla. I tried to search for it but didn't find it. Do you have a link?

I've already put a lot of time into doing things a certain way but as they say "Don’t cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it."  I'm open to the idea there's a better way.

ichimitch:
I'd not heard of the Launchbox project!  I'll have to look into that.  Are you making your WinPE build public?  I'd love to take a look at what you've done.
-wraith808 (August 07, 2018, 09:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've been following Launchbox since they started out. The community has grown a lot and have created a lot of custom themes for the 'Big Box' mode. Big Box being the mode intended for usage in a cabinet setup; which is now unfortunately a paid feature. The standard mode for desktop use remains free.

I have a premium license but it was much cheaper when I bought it. I think back then it was $20. Now they're asking for $50 :(  They do occasionally run promotions, though. So if you follow them on social media or join the mailing list you might pick it up discounted.

I will absolutely make my WinPE build public if I get it to a place where I'm happy with it. I'm feelling pretty frustrated with it at the moment... but I believe it's worth persisting with. Thanks for the kind words.

wraith808:
The target machine is an old Core 2 Duo with 2gb RAM. The intention is to be able to turn old machines (which would otherwise only going to a computer recycling company) into arcade machine guts.

-ichimitch (August 07, 2018, 08:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's what I thought might be the case when you said it was for a console- that it was one of those book type machines.  I have one sitting here that full windows was just too much for when I was looking at doing it.  I just haven't had the time to get it up and running, so your efforts are really interesting to me.

ichimitch:
I just got feedback from Jason Carr, the lead developer of Launchbox. He thinks the reason I'm having difficulties is because I need pretty much every DirectX library ever. Not just DirectX 11. Trying to include those libraries in the build now. Progress :)

Stoic Joker:
Sounds like a job for Windows 10 IoT Edition, as it's already stripped down to run on minimal (pie class) hardware.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version