ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Et Tu, CCleaner!

<< < (5/6) > >>

4wd:
Now CCleaner's price model is ridiculous, 25 bucks plus VAT p.a. if you want it to delete the cookies automatically, after your closing the browser;-ital2 (September 29, 2018, 10:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wouldn't it be a lot less complicated, (and cheaper), to have the browser delete cookies when it's closed, (ie. they all become session cookies) ?

KodeZwerg:
thats how i do it @4wd

For Opera there exist a "Policy Control" Plug wich let me choose some defaults, my google results page never looked that clear before, and no more "you have to agree to google policy" windows that are just raised because of cookie.
"FlagCookies" Plugin to have control on cookies that i allow. (i admid i could live without this)
"EditThisCookie" Plugin waits to let me edit cookies for whatever page i am on. (i admid i could live without this)

Maby those plugins are avail for your Browsers aswell.

Et Tu, CCleaner!

brahman:
I am late to the party, but there is one piece of software I have used to complement CCleaner:

Privazer

I felt it is a bit slower than CCleaner, but I think for some people it may be able to replace CCleaner.

Also there is an official portable version of CCleaner on this page, which I have been using for many years.

rjbull:
Privazer-brahman (December 19, 2018, 12:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

I seem to remember looking at Privazer, and getting nervous that it might wipe things I needed.  Time for another look, perhaps.  I'm currently using BleachBit but don't really know how it compares.  The most recent issue (no. 543, 19 Dec. 2018 - 1 Jan. 2019) of UK magazine ComputerActive recommends open-source program XTR Toolbox.  Its home page isn't all that informative; the Major Geeks page for XTR Toolbox pages has more detail:
Author: XTR Toolbox
Date: 04/16/2018 07:58 AM
Size: 2.76 MB
License: Open Source
Requires: Win 10 / 8 / 7

XTR Toolbox is a portable open-source app to optimize, clean, tweak and protect your privacy in Windows.

XTR Toolbox is relatively easy to use with four categories - Quick Tools, Privacy Tools, Other Tools, and Cleanup Tools. It starts with a "dark theme" using brown and white but you can uncheck that at any time to go brighter.

Quick Tools allows you to rebuild your icon and font cache. Privacy Tools feature a Windows apps manager and the ability to remove telemetry. Other Tools has a startup, services, software, and hosts file managers. Finally, cleanup has a junk files cleaner and chrome extensions manager.

While overall, the app is excellent, there are a few oddities. Uninstalling telemetry says that it will remove telemetry from Windows 7 and 8 with no mention of 10, causing us to hesitate. Windows App Manager does not detect what is or isn't installed and offers to reinstall all apps, something we know can be hit or miss as some Windows apps, once removed, can't be restored. Junk files cleaner appears to be decent, but there's no browser specific cleanup listed, and you have to select each category one by one. It was incredibly fast, however. Software manager can remove software, but with so many uninstallers available, we hate to see anyone offer the old Windows uninstall method.

Overall, XTR Toolbox is an excellent fit, assuming it has the tools that you need. While not a complete suite of everything but the kitchen sink, it has many tools that most people will find useful.

--- End quote ---
They don't add that it needs .Net Framework: 4.7+

ital2:
4wd: "Wouldn't it be a lot less complicated, (and cheaper), to have the browser delete cookies when it's closed, (ie. they all become session cookies) ?"

Hence my question above; unfortunately, the traditional FF add-in having brilliantly done exactly that not working anymore beyond FF 56 (or whatever the exact version number was).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version