ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Extract REGEX matches from multiple text files

<< < (8/22) > >>

4wd:
But I do not want to work it with Select-XML because it will limit my learning a lot.-kalos (August 06, 2018, 03:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you are going to work with XML then learn to use the most efficient means available otherwise it isn't learning, (well obviously you'll learn from your mistakes but why be inefficient?).

The same applies to JSON, CSV, etc, etc - learning to use the wrong method to achieve what you want is what cripples you.  To put it simply: Use the right tool for the job.

From the Programmer Humor thread, a very eloquent StackOverflow answer that illustrates what Ath said about regexes above.

Do you have one of these files that is considerably less than 25GB, that contains no proprietary data, that you can 7-Zip, (being plain text with lots of repetition it should compress well), then upload to GDrive or somewhere, and then provide us with a link?

kalos:
Mmm, I see.

Well guys, the data is what I posted in my last post (Plants), these are three sample records and they keep repeating (with different values).

How do I parse this in the most easy way?

kalos:
By the way, is there a way to do 'find next' in Powershell without having to find all matches and create an array? I imagine the latter is very RAM consuming.

wraith808:
it will limit my learning a lot
-kalos (August 06, 2018, 03:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well, please first try to learn how to describe your challenge well, a tutorial was linked earlier by 4wd, then we will try to teach you how to best solve your challenge. It may not need regex at all.

A common saying about regexes goes like this: You try to solve a problem with a regex. Now you've got 2 problems...
-Ath (August 06, 2018, 05:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Totally agree! One of our systems at work is based on Regex, and its very powerful, but very touchy to change!  ;D

If you're going to use regex, though its not necessary to purchase a tool like regexbuddy, I'd recommend it to preserve your sanity!

kalos:
Yeah, I want to use RegEx to be honest. But I struggle to find a way to do it.

The first line of the data contains an ID. So I can store all these IDs in an array.
Then, for each entry in the array, I will be able to match some regex and output them.

The problem is that the data gets into so many deep tree branches that it gets hard to isolate them.

Mmmmm! Now I got an idea.
If I could convert the XML file in a flat structured file, where each line will display the attribute name and value (as it normally does in XML), but it will also display the attributes and values from all the above hierarchy!

That way, it will be much more manageable, because I will be able to isolate and process specific lines.

Any script that can do this?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version