ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to REALLY stop ******* Windows Update on Win10?

<< < (5/5)

Deozaan:
Here's what I've done that has been working for me so far. Note that I'm using Windows 10 Pro so this may not be available in the "basic" version(s) of Windows 10.

In Windows Update -> Advanced Options I enable the "Pause Updates" toggle, which will "temporarily pause updates from being installed on this device for up to 35 days. When updates resume, this device will need to get the latest updates before it can be paused again."

This seems to do the trick.

Then sometime within the 35 days when I know I have the time to install updates, I un-pause, install updates, and then pause it again.

No more surprise reboots.

If you can't find some free time once a month to install updates then obviously this solution may not be ideal for you. But it's working great for me so far in the past ~2 months since I decided to attempt this on a machine that needs to have reliable, high up-time.

EDIT: Rereading this thread, I see that rgdot already mentioned this option. :-[ And that was probably about the time I started using the feature, so maybe his post was the reason and I just forgot about it.

Carol Haynes:
The other approach is to say your connection is metered - although it will still pester but should not download without permission

wraith808:
The other approach is to say your connection is metered - although it will still pester but should not download without permission
-Carol Haynes (September 13, 2018, 11:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

That has other side effects as I said above.  And they are very much bad effects for me.  Dropbox, Onedrive, my backup service, and others stopped updating because it was metered.  Make sure that you know what those side effects are, or you could be surprised as I was when I found out (they don't proactively warn you).

Here's what I've done that has been working for me so far. Note that I'm using Windows 10 Pro so this may not be available in the "basic" version(s) of Windows 10.
-Deozaan (September 13, 2018, 10:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, I have windows 10 home, and apparently, it doesn't have that option.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version