ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to REALLY stop ******* Windows Update on Win10?

<< < (4/5) > >>

wraith808:
wraith808: that link is just Microsoft really, really, REALLY not getting what people are complaining about >_<
-f0dder (July 26, 2018, 06:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, I know.  I guess I should have put /s on the end of my statement.   :-\

KodeZwerg:
Right,

Disabling updates is not an option. Making updates non-automatic might work, but is a poor option.
I don't want to have to remember to go and check for + install updates - I want it to be a fairly automatic process.

wraith808: that link is just Microsoft really, really, REALLY not getting what people are complaining about >_<
--- End quote ---
In my case (Auto-Update OFF / metered connection) i use WSUS Offline Update to do such action.
= How to REALLY stop ******* Windows Update on Win10? = solved with that. Or am i wrong?

wraith808:
Right,

Disabling updates is not an option. Making updates non-automatic might work, but is a poor option.
I don't want to have to remember to go and check for + install updates - I want it to be a fairly automatic process.

--- End quote ---
In my case (Auto-Update OFF / metered connection) i use WSUS Offline Update to do such action.
= How to REALLY stop ******* Windows Update on Win10? = solved with that. Or am i wrong?
-KodeZwerg (July 26, 2018, 11:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

I tried that, and found that there are side effects that aren't immediately obvious.  The one that I saw (thankfully before it became an issue) is that my syncing software for my backups stopped syncing because of the change.  With this in mind, I switched mine back.

wraith808:
I woke up again to my machine being restarted.  To make it worse, I had a VM open as I was going to have an early meeting and wanted to make sure I didn't have to start the VM before the meeting.  To make it even worse, the VM showed aborted as the status.  I started the VM, and it was thankfully fine, but I just knew I had to do something at this point.

Apparently, Microsoft introduced a Windows Update Medic Service in 1803- I'm guessing this is what broke my workaround.  This service is apparently meant to repair Windows Update if something happens to it.  The service itself has the description, "Enables remediation and protection of Windows Update components." That protection part means that this re-enables the Windows Update Service if you disable it- I found that out the hard way.  To make it even worse, you can't disable this service.  You get access is denied if you attempt to do so.  I suppose you could attempt to take ownership, but I found a tool that does it for you before I even tried, and figured I'd mention it here, as I don't see any mentions on a search.

Windows Update Blocker (https://www.sordum.org/9470/windows-update-blocker-v1-1/) is a portable tool that allows you to disable both.  It does require a bit to get it to disable the medic service that you have to do manually, though it does have a protect service settings that would seem to handle that also.

How to REALLY stop ******* Windows Update on Win10?How to REALLY stop ******* Windows Update on Win10?

The struggle is real- how long can this continue before they learn that their customers don't want this?

Carol Haynes:
One way that seems to work is to change the permissions on the windows update service and explicitly deny access to SYSTEM

I haven't tried this but have read reports that it works.

Having said that I guess MS will one day reset the permissions.

You could try replacing the windows update service file with another file of the same name.

Alternatively go back to Windows 7!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version