ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to REALLY stop ******* Windows Update on Win10?

<< < (2/5) > >>

wraith808:
I believe the necessary policies only work on enterprise versions, not even pro versions >_<

Removing the task files are not enough, they get re-created. The same goes for setting all ACLs to deny access, Windows will eventually go "Lol, I'm LOCALSYSTEM, bitch, what are you gonna do about it?" and reset/recreate the ACLs.

-f0dder (July 25, 2018, 01:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

I mean making something to run resident that checks for the task files being created, and deleting them again.  It worked for a while; I had that folder locked down and had created another bogus task with the same name that did nothing, and locked that down.  It worked until one of the big updates, but hasn't worked since then.

Hello Sir, did you tried all THIS methods?
-KodeZwerg (July 25, 2018, 04:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've tried all of them other than the metered connection bit.  I was just skeptical about other ramifications and not fed up enough to do it.  I'm trying it now, though.

4wd:
FWIW, my main computer that's turned off overnight and is at v1803, (with pending updates from June):

I only seem to get notifications for updates, (well, I used to, all notifications have been turned off), and every so often I'll go through the list of pending downloads and install them with WUMT.

I have another that's on 24/7 and is still sitting at v1709, No deferrals set and on the Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted), (it's got updates for v1709 and v1803 as pending downloads):

wraith808:
But you have to have Pro to do that, don't you?

4wd:
But you have to have Pro to do that, don't you?-wraith808 (July 25, 2018, 11:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you mean to run the Group Policy Editor then yes, all my computers run Pro, (Home doesn't have RDP Host).

However, all the settings are available in the registry for which MS have made available an Excel spreadsheet for lookup.

Whether Home will honour the settings or not I can't tell you but you can try - best case is it works, worst case is it ignores them.

KodeZwerg:
Hello again, i did not found eMail, but a link with similar content to block Microsoft Servers.
Stop Windows 10 spying on you using just Windows Firewall

Hope it helps, take care!

edit
Attention!
Above is not mentioned to be (mis-)used by beginners since it go systemdeep without restore!! You must know what you do!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version