ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Discussion of ignore feature

<< < (2/5) > >>

eleman:
Is this a new trick to get better pagerank on google or something?

If yes, I submit the proposal for the deletion of the whole thread.

IainB:
Weeell, having only just now read it, I'd not be in such a hurry as to discount the value of that OP (Opening Post) by @ital2 as the comments that follow it would seem to do.
I say this because:

* (a) Starting from the basis of 3 specific references to threads elsewhere in the DC forum, the OP makes some valid and pertinent points and arguments about some perceived deficiencies of software trial periods. Those trials would thus arguably seem to have been ill-conceived trials. I could understand this approach only too well, as the sorts of deficiencies described have often been perceived by me as being just that (i.e., "deficiencies", and mostly annoying) - this is from the experience of some years of developing, selling, Beta-testing and trialling software of various types, including CRIMPing(*1).

* (b) The post then makes some valid and constructive suggestions, with some new ideas, about how those trials could be better-conceived and targeted for optimum user take-up, increased user/vendor benefit and improved overall marketing of the software products.

Thus, given that the title of the OP is "How NOT to Conceive Trials (and some new ideas about them).", the post itself would seem to be pretty much exactly on-point.

It takes some effort on the reader's part to read and digest (or maybe even internalise?) some written material where the writer is attempting to communicate several different, but interrelated/interwoven threads in a complex argument. Whilst one's mind might be able to grasp such a thing "in the round" - maybe even seeing it as "simple" - attempting to articulate it as a cohesive whole in such a manner as that others might then be able to comprehend it is not necessarily always going to be an easy thing to do - and I would suggest that that could be the case with the OP above. The classic model for communications theory - if not the initial responses (above) to the OP - would seem to confirm this.

Unless the OP was written by a clever AI program, it would seem to be a tad discourteous not to make the effort to at least try to understand and recognise the sense of what the writer of the OP was trying to say to us. Having made the effort, I consider that the OP seems to be spot-on with its subject and I think the ideas suggested are new (to me at any rate). (I say this without wishing to comment on the style or use of English in the OP.)

The conclusion/summary is sufficiently concise about that (the ideas):
So, it's about giving the user the chance to really (!), effectively trial your application, and even when they missed that the first turn around for personal reasons, there should be second chances (and those users should know about them*), and if you do a free version, there should be repeated chances to get another, quick, but complete look, another 10 days with limitations, or another 5 days without any limitations (but then only once a years, not for minor updates).
-ital2 (May 12, 2017, 03:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

In addition, I find the reference points and the expansion of points following the conclusion to be rather interesting and worth discussing. Generally, anything that could be done to improve the usefulness, value and marketability of software trials would probably be welcome.

I wouldn't necessarily say that it was all an overly easy read, but I hope that I was at least up to the challenge of trying to read and understand it and I also got some value from it - in the shape of some new/innovative (to me) ideas and some alternative ways to articulate/perceive some of the relatively familiar (to me) deficiencies in software trialling.

References:
CRIMP defined
Posted by Stephen Zeoli
May 10, 2006 at 01:05 PM

CRIMP stands for a make-believe malady called compulsive-reactive information management purchasing. Symptoms include:
 • never being satisfied with your current system of information management
 • continuously being on the look-out for something newer and better
 • purchasing every new PIM program you learn about
 • and secretly hoping you won’t find the perfect PIM, because then you’d have to stop looking for a better one

So, when someone speaks of succumbing to his or her CRIMP, it means acknowledging that they’ve purchased another PIM program even though they really don’t think they need it.
There must be a 12-step program for over-coming CRIMP, but who really wants to? It’s too much fun.
  Steve Z.

From <http://www.outlinersoftware.com/topics/viewt/17/0/crimp-defined>

--- End quote ---

Giampy:
This is a triple spin-off from ... etc...-ital2 (May 12, 2017, 03:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/conciseness

wraith808:
This is a triple spin-off from ... etc...-ital2 (May 12, 2017, 03:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/conciseness

-Giampy (May 15, 2017, 08:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Is that really how we behave on DC?

Curt:
My previous post now seems to have a different meaning than intended. My problem with the initial post is the announcement "tomorrow there will (still) be a post here, but then with a different text". When I modify my various posts, I do it for clarity or for correcting errors. But ital2 did it quite differently; he wrote an entirely different post! We are not telling him to use fewer words (PLEASE, USE FEWER WORDS, ital2!!), but we're saying that he should not change the entire content the way he did.

^That is what I was trying to communicate:

How NOT to compose a thread.-Curt (May 14, 2017, 01:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version