ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Delphi for free? YES!! Delphi Community Edition is out!

<< < (2/3) > >>

wraith808:
Up to some days ago the only free thing from Delphi was "Starter Edition" what is very crippled and beginners cant really learn since no sources are shipped with that edition.
Delphi CE is similar to Tokyo Professionial, here and there some license limitiations but product is full. (ie: you can develop for Win32/Win64/OSX/Linux/Android/iPhone)
-KodeZwerg (July 19, 2018, 01:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, I know.  That was the reason that I stopped even using Delphi at all. The Turbo versions were the community editiins, and were discontinued when Embarcadero bought it from Borland/Inprise.

License term lasts for one year (although once you have created a product you can still distribute it). Also your max income is limited to $5000, I would have to reread the license to see the parameters on that. As far as I'm concerned, I'd like to play with it but I would need a specific task I want to accomplish, and allocated time to work on it, before I even download it.
-x16wda (July 19, 2018, 05:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's almost verbatim the license terms for the Turbo versions.

KodeZwerg:
AFAIK all free editions however Name is/was (Turbo, Personal, Educational, Starter, Community etc) are 1 Year Licenses with easy ability to subscribe another free Year. That belongs in most cases just Software Update not the Product (CE in this case). I will ask that @Embarcadero and tell you answer.

edit
Bad News, developing is bound to license, so that version is really just valid for one year, the IDE shows soon enough a pop-up reminder to either update another free year or upgrade (buy) License.

wraith808:
AFAIK all free editions however Name is/was (Turbo, Personal, Educational, Starter, Community etc) are 1 Year Licenses with easy ability to subscribe another free Year. That belongs in most cases just Software Update not the Product (CE in this case). I will ask that @Embarcadero and tell you answer.

edit
Bad News, developing is bound to license, so that version is really just valid for one year, the IDE shows soon enough a pop-up reminder to either update another free year or upgrade (buy) License.
-KodeZwerg (July 19, 2018, 11:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Why is that bad news?  You either get a new license for a new year, or upgrade from what I'm reading your statement.  Is that not the case?  If so, it's the same as it was before.  Which was the reason that at least I stopped using Delphi.  It was fine when I was buying licenses because I was using money from contracts.  But not going to do it if it's not making me money.

KodeZwerg:
Bad because i'd thought and wrote that its for Updates not for developing. I just corrected myself. "Bad KodeZwerg, News" i should have written.

f0dder:
Why is that bad news?  You either get a new license for a new year, or upgrade from what I'm reading your statement.-wraith808 (July 19, 2018, 12:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
Because it makes the offering unusable? :)

It might be "the same as it was before", but that status quo is "at the mercy of Embarcadero". I wonder if they, deep down, really just want Delphi to die... there's a lot of legacy stuff written in it, but with terms like this, I can't see much reason to choose the platform. Sure, Object Pascal isn't a bad language, but there's so many other (and better, IMHO) platforms around.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version