ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Windows 7 update stuck on constant "need to restart" - end of my tether

<< < (4/4)

wraith808:
Left undisturbed, operational HDDs don't usually "suddenly fail", they tend to progressively fail in incremental fashion, all the meanwhile logging their gradual deterioration in their on-board SMART data accumulators. Analysis of HDD failure can be quite enlightening and can enable the user to predict HDD failure, when they avail themselves of SMART monitoring to detect when it is time to migrate from a failing drive, rather than risk blindly waiting till forced to recover from an already-failed drive.-IainB (July 21, 2018, 02:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's not the experience I've had as a consumer.

In some cases, I've seen "reallocated sector count" or some similar stat go up before an eventual full breakdown - but mostly, it's been "worked fine yesterday, now I can't get my data". And I've had disks with reallocater sectors that kept trucking along for years without flaw, and just ended up being too small.

SMART is a mess. The values are opaque, and you can't really compare them between brands. There's no guarantee you'll get reported errors before a failure, and reported errors are no guarante of a failure. And, moving from spinning magnetic platters to solid state drives, failures tend to be "oops, logic board died, all data is lost".

-f0dder (July 21, 2018, 05:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Totally agreed with all of the above.  I've had hard drives fail with varying symptoms or no symptoms, running diagnostic software that said that there were no flaws on the drive until it actually failed- then all of a sudden the scan was showing a lot of errors right as it failed using HDD Sentinel.

KodeZwerg:
If you ask 10 people wich Manufactor of Harddrives is bad you have at least 5-7 different choices.
My 10000 rpm Seagate Barracuda (SCSI) is more than 10 Years old without any issues, Western Digital Drives are the bad ones for me.

To your Windows Problem:
Why dont you just run Windows 10 within VirtualMachine? This way you can easy (if such feature is activated) roll-back to any prior state.
This works way better than, excuse me, dumb restore points that to 90% does not do what you try to do.
If update/software you installed in VM seems to be okay you can start thinking about to make it real.
I configured my VM to never save anything unless i want to save changes.

xtabber:
Seagate 3TB drives were notoriously prone to failure (I had one, and it did, after about 3 years).

According to the latest BackBlaze survey, the more recent Seagate 4TB drives have lower failure rates than either HGST or WD.

Carol Haynes:
For anyone interested I found a fix for this issue - at an admin command prompt:

fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\

Then in SAFE MODE or Recovery Console at command prompt:

C: (in Recovery console use the drive indicated)
cd Windows\System32\SMI\Store\Machine
attrib -s -h *
del *.blf
del *.regtrans-ms
cd Windows\System32\config\TxR
attrib -s -h *
del /q *

Restart!! Fixed!! Finally!!! Hope someone else finds it useful

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version