ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Windows 7 update stuck on constant "need to restart" - end of my tether

<< < (2/4) > >>

x16wda:
Weird. I am sure you have looked at a hundred of the posts with "solutions". This computer is not in a domain, is it? Did you try creating a new administrator account and using that account to start the process?

You could try an in place upgrade to the same o/s, might be easier than a fresh Windows reinstall and all it takes is time.

KodeZwerg:
Since no one asked yet (i do first that before anything else)
What does Windows Event Log tell when running that Update/Booting Pc ?
If you do not know Event Log, Microsoft TechNet teach it.

4wd:
Apart from wiping Windows and reinstalling anyone got any suggestions?-Carol Haynes (July 17, 2018, 12:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Uninstall any AV/AM, do a partition backup, perform an In-Place Upgrade - no need to wipe Windows.  Takes an hour or so and all your files/programs are still installed - anything with some kind of virtual driver will possibly need reinstalling, (eg. DaemonTools).

EDIT: Just noticed x16wda suggested it, even so would have been my first option in the event of no pre-update backup.

Carol Haynes:
Thanks for all the suggestions ... no it is not in a domain

No I don't have a useful backup as my stupid 3Tb Seagate drives packed up (one of the heads stopped working and a second drive purchased at the same time also had a failing head). I will never EVER buy Seagate crap again! I have been burned before but never again.

I left it updating over night last week and didn't immediately notice there was an issue until it started popping up saying I need to restart - I did but no sign of updates installing and when it rebooted it just popped up again which is when I checked what was going on. There are no older restore points.

A number of side issues - I have Windows 7 and 10 dual booting (mostly use 7 as I hate 10) but it has the unfortunate effect of I can't boot from a Windows 7 repair or installation DVD because the boot sectors tell it I have windows 10 and the installer complains it is not the right version. This means an in place upgrade is not happening - there doesn't seem to be any way of restoring the W7 boot code as I can't get to the 'Repair your computer screen' (I don't mind trashing the W10 dual boot if I can get the W7 boot system working again).

Re. system restore points - it does create system restore points - I can only assume that in all my efforts so many restore points have been created that the useful ones have been deleted.

I have been checking system integrity - SFC reports issues it can;t fix but there is noting the CBS.LOG file to give me a clue.

I ran Microsoft's System Readiness tool (which basically actsa as DSIM in Windows 7) - this was much more helpful and identified 8 corrupt or missing files. It fixed 7 of them. The 8th is listed as this:

servicing\packages\Package_for_KB976933_vpc~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~nb-NO~7.1.7601.17514.mum
   servicing\packages\Package_for_KB976933_vpc~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~nb-NO~7.1.7601.17514.cat

The manual fix instructions say to download the correct from from MS Dowload Centre but nothing is listed there under KB976933
Download the package from Microsoft Download Center or Microsoft Update Catalog.
Copy the package (.msu) to the %SYSTEMROOT%\CheckSUR\packages directory. By default, this directory doesn't exist and you need to create the directory.
Rerun the System Update Readiness Tool.
--- End quote ---

I think the original file was part of SP1 - any ideas how to extract it from the SP1 package or do I need to reapply SP1 (if windows will let me - I seem to remember last time I tried that it just said already installed?)

System error log seems to have a lot of errors that look like this:

- System

- Provider

[ Name]  Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Tm
   [ Guid]  {4CEC9C95-A65F-4591-B5C4-30100E51D870}

EventID 1

Version 0

Level 3

Task 0

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime]  2018-07-19T03:53:34.581684300Z

EventRecordID 2332315

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID]  13864
   [ ThreadID]  21048

Channel System

Computer OFFICE-PC

- Security

[ UserID]  S-1-5-18

- EventData

TxUow {DFDD7667-8AA1-11E8-99CA-50E549C546E8}
  TxDescriptionLength 0
  TxDescription 
  ClfsStatus 0xc0000061

The Transaction (UOW={dfdd7667-8aa1-11e8-99ca-50e549c546e8}, Description='') was unable to be committed, and instead rolled back; this was due to an error message returned by CLFS while attempting to write a Prepare or Commit record for the Transaction.  The CLFS error returned was: 0xc0000061.

--- End quote ---

The details vary but "was unable to be committed, and instead rolled back; this was due to an error message returned by CLFS while attempting to write a Prepare or Commit record for the Transaction.  The CLFS error returned was:" is common

There also seem to be quite a few of these:

- System

- Provider

[ Name]  Microsoft-Windows-BitLocker-Driver
   [ Guid]  {651DF93B-5053-4D1E-94C5-F6E6D25908D0}

EventID 24620

Version 0

Level 2

Task 0

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime]  2018-07-18T15:48:43.551730900Z

EventRecordID 2330167

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID]  4
   [ ThreadID]  56

Channel System

Computer OFFICE-PC

- Security

[ UserID]  S-1-5-18

- EventData

ErrorCode 0x80000010
  Volume \\?\Volume{3ccee3f6-1e28-4872-994b-a3c9066ba7e6}
  WritePhase 0x0

Encrypted volume check: Volume information on \\?\Volume{3ccee3f6-1e28-4872-994b-a3c9066ba7e6} cannot be read.

--- End quote ---

Which is odd (I am not using BitLocker - the drives are not encrypted). I suppose this might be related to drives that have been removed (the knackered Seagate drives for a start).

I am away for 10 days from tomorrow - I am not being rude if I don't reply to ideas quickly - I will be slaving behind a cello and my only tech access will be sporadic via an Android phone. I will check out any ideas when I get home. Thanks everyone.

Shades:
The Hirens BootCD project is under new management. Well, it is now maintained by volunteers who only use freeware/open-source tools (and some trial versions) for repair from lots and lots of different types of errors that Windows subjects its users to.

You can make a bootable pen drive with the iso they provide. To be prepared for calamities, I created myself such a pendrive and it boots very fast into a Windows 10 PE (x64) environment. Afterwards the 16GByte pendrive was filled with 6 to 7 GByte from my personal PortableApps collection of tools. And I guess about 70% of the added tools works as well. The ones that don't, report that prerequisites are missing, which is to be expected from a PE environment.

Booting takes about 20 to 25 seconds (my pendrive is a USB3 model, but it is slow as hell) when connected to an USB3 port on an APU-based AMD (A10-6800K) system with 8GByte of RAM. Even on a nothing fancy PC, it boots up fast. If push comes to shove, it could even be good enough as a daily driver from the get-go, especially when you just want to browse a bit.

The included repair tools are quite impressive, but it can also do backup and forensic tasks as well. And it is more than likely this PE environment can help you fix your Windows 7 issues.

On another note:
While the interface of Windows 10 is not everyone's cup of tea, it is not that bad in my opinion. Having said that, Google reveals quite a lot of links that can make your Windows 10 installation look and "feel" like Windows 7. In that sense you would have the best of 2 worlds and you could get rid of dual-boot altogether. From Gizmo's Freeware or find your favorite link with this search term: make Windows 10 look and feel like Windows 7

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version