ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Windows 7 update stuck on constant "need to restart" - end of my tether

(1/4) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I have spent most of the day on this and have tried everything I can think of - anyone got any other suggestions other than a lump hammer ...

Windows 7 did some updates the other day - now I am getting pop up reminders to restart

After numerous restarts the pops keep coming

I can't check for updates (I need to restart first).

I have run the Windows Update Trouble shooter numerous time --- comes up with an error unfixed every time but when I look at the detailed version it says it is fixed

I have run the MS FixIt Tool for Windows Update in non-aggressive and agressive mode --- says it is complete --- restart and back to square one. No no update history though.

I have manually reset Windows Update (renamed SoftwareDistribution and CatRoot2) --- makes no difference

I have deleted the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\RebootRequired  --- it keeps reappearing and forcing the restart prompt

I have run SFC /SCANNOW - there are errors but they are not related directly to windows and have been there for ages without issue (they relate to 3rd party drivers)

I have restarted about 20 times through all this day and spent most of the day swearing when I should be doing something more useful.

Apart from wiping Windows and reinstalling anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks

Arizona Hot:
Call Microsoft and scream when connected. Seriously, can you backup Windows to before the update. Windows should have set a restore point(I think) before updating. If you are connecting when the other computer has this problem, you can get Microsoft online and ask them what to do. Then you can blame them if they can't fix it.

Carol Haynes:
I have followed all the advice from Microsoft - which ends with reinstall windows which I haven't got time to do at the moment.

I only have 6 system restore points - all from today.

Arizona Hot:
Do you have backup software files you could use to restore the computer to a more manageable condition?

cyberdiva:
Carol, I'm a little surprised you don't have a restore point from when the updates were installed. It's my impression that the installation of Windows updates almost always starts with Windows creating a restore point, if not for all the updates (if they're installed at more or less the same time), then at least for the first. Are you sure there aren't some additional restore points aside from those made today? (Could the dates be wrong and the restore points are not from today?)

Also, did the problems start right after the updates were installed, or did they start today? If by any chance the problems started today, the first of the restore points might possibly be useful.

I've always considered myself needlessly cautious in setting a restore point before I install Windows Updates. I knew (or at least I thought I knew) that Windows would create one, but my mistrust of MS usually won out.  Perhaps excessive caution with MS is never needless.  :(

Good luck in solving this. I wish I could help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version