ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Win 10: the terrible CompatTelRunner is back!

<< < (3/3)

tomos:
Windows 7 machine:
I accidentally applied all windows updates around the end of May. Since then having troubles sometime after startup -- a total sieze-up of the system -- unable to do anything for a while -- maybe ten minutes, maybe twenty :-/
When the system recovers, anything you attempted to do in the 'freeze-time' gets done, and fast: at this stage today, the taskmanager (Process Explorer actually) got opened and I saw a flash of compattelrunner highlighted in red before it disappeared.

Did the following:
To disable Windows Compatibility Telemetry, kindly follow these steps:

On the search box, type services and press Enter to open the Services desktop app.
    Stop the Diagnostics Tracking Service and change the Startup Type to Disabled.
-Curt (November 24, 2016, 03:03 AM)
--- End quote ---
also uninstalled KB2952664 "Compatibility update for keeping Windows up-to-date in Windows 7" as suggested in Superuser:
https://superuser.com/questions/944067/windows-disk-i-o-100-at-boot-for-20-minutes

System is fine on reboot: will report if there's any other problems.

This all happened in the wake of replacing a harddrive which was also causing the system to sieze up (I'm even wondering now was the HDD really on the way out: but I think so). All of which made me suspect the new HDD rather than look for other possibilities...

IainB:
Less complex than removing it and as a possible alternative workaround, you could do worse than consider using ProcessTamer to Force Kill it.
It's path is usually: C:\Windows\System32\CompatTelRunner.exe

tomos:
[to remove the compattelrunner problem I]also uninstalled KB2952664 "Compatibility update for keeping Windows up-to-date in Windows 7"
-tomos (July 08, 2018, 08:05 AM)
--- End quote ---
Went to windows update shortly afterwards and guess what's on offer:
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2952664)
Download size: 6.4 MB
Update type: Important
Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2952664

--- End quote ---
now hidden FWIW

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version