ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Math is an Attitude

<< < (2/3) > >>

housetier:
What, MORE Math?

Why of course! Mathematics is a wide field, it has so many branches and differentiations, you don't live long enough to learn it all.

Ok now I am scared!

Don't be! Math can be interesting, sometimes even fun. And once you figure out how the stock exchange REALLY works, it will be worth it (if you'll excuse my pun). Go watch the movie "Pi".

Math is an Attitude
Now, to some non-scary math: Numberspiral.com plays with numbers on a spiral. Robert Sacks then steps back to take a different look at this spiral, then zooms in again on various details.
Math is an Attitude
Then come explainations in normal and math-speak. If you take it step by step I think you will be follow him.

Wow I am so impressed!

It is impressive, and pretty with all the diagrams. But I think some of it is just coincidence. With so many numbers involved it is easy to find "rules" and "regularity". However, this is just my opinion. Please do enjoy math!

And: Spirals are dang fascinating I must admit. This circularity thing keeps my brains spinning around and round (if you would excuse another poor play with words).

Note

I STOLE the pictures from Number Spiral. They belong to Robert Sacks or whomever.

app103:
Of course we can't be all nice all the time, so here is a different page that makes fun of all the mathematically "challenged" out there. Please don't be too offended though.

I mean while their solutions would seem painfully wrong, they did follow certain rules to arrive at the solution. The rules applied weren't the ones taught so the result was wrong, but I think some of these folks should get credit for consistency or at least creativity: six = 6-housetier (July 31, 2006, 07:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

I am not offended. But I think maybe now that you are done having fun and laughing at us, it's time to learn a little about what makes us tick.

http://www.dyscalculia.org/thesis.html

It's not easy for some of us, and you wouldn't believe how many common everyday things take a math ability to do.

Some of us struggle everyday to do the things you take for granted.  :(

Some of us are having our dreams crushed by something others find simple to understand.

Eóin:
I'm a bit worried about the limit(x-8)^-1 as x->8 being equal to infinity. I'd think the limit doesn't exist.
-tsaint (August 01, 2006, 03:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

I believe that while (x-8)^1 for x = 8 doesn't exist, the limit as x tends towards 8 does, and that limit is infinity.

housetier:
Some of us struggle everyday to do the things you take for granted.  :(
Some of us are having our dreams crushed by something others find simple to understand.
-app103 (August 10, 2006, 03:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

I am special as well, but I laugh about it. I chose not to be sad about my disabilities, as I have seen that everybody has quirks and oddities, and nobody is the same; so that makes us all equal.

I crack jokes about ethnic minorities, handicapped, "challenged", geeks, nerds, men, women, kids, animals, foreigners, fellow Germans, my family, my friends, and myself. I try to treat everybody the same. If you want to stick out, that's fine, but I wont give you special treatment because I dont think you are that special anyway.

Rover:

I am not offended. But I think maybe now that you are done having fun and laughing at us, it's time to learn a little about what makes us tick.

http://www.dyscalculia.org/thesis.html
-app103 (August 10, 2006, 03:52 PM)
--- End quote ---
Does dyscalculia make people design hard to read web pages too?   :P

Sorry I just couldn't resist.  That page is very hard to read with the background a blue italics.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version