ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How secure is a private WordPress post from public view?

<< < (2/5) > >>

dirosi:
I understand from the documentation that even if someone guessed the URL to a private WordPress post, they still couldn't view it. Is that strictly true? How vulnerable are private posts to, say, a WordPress site using say a typical security plug-in like Wordfence?

--- End quote ---
Although, I am not sure about your question. But, I am trying to give an idea about wordpress post setting.
Wordpress have a Visibility option(For each post you will get this option). Public, Password Protected and Private.
Public: All can view that post.
Password Protected: If someone know your post url and try to visit that url then it will ask admin setup password. Without password visitor cannot view that post.
Private: Only admin and your website register user(if you give access) can view that post.
As an example I do this my cookware website: https://healthyceramiccookware.com/cuisinart-ceramic-cookware-reviews/
This article was password protected. Now public.

Stoic Joker:
If you're very concerned about security, I wouldn't trust WordPress, private or not.  Not that it's not capable, it's just that WordPress is a big target.  Keeping things that you'd rather not have anyone see but it's not disastrous if someone does?  It's probably fine for that.  But really secure things?  I'd suggest somewhere else, IMO.
-wraith808 (July 07, 2018, 09:34 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'll second that - There is no true 'privacy' on the internet.

On a side note: We really do need a like button system here, it's a great way to agree with something without making a low content clutter post.

KynloStephen66515:
If you're very concerned about security, I wouldn't trust WordPress, private or not.  Not that it's not capable, it's just that WordPress is a big target.  Keeping things that you'd rather not have anyone see but it's not disastrous if someone does?  It's probably fine for that.  But really secure things?  I'd suggest somewhere else, IMO.
-wraith808 (July 07, 2018, 09:34 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'll second that - There is no true 'privacy' on the internet.

On a side note: We really do need a like button system here, it's a great way to agree with something without making a low content clutter post.
-Stoic Joker (November 30, 2018, 06:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've literally been bugging mouser about this since 2010 :')

Shades:
Advocate of the devil here:  Would it then not become just a numbers game?  This post is liked by x amount of people on this forum? What does that add exactly?

I visit other sites where people can indicate how much they like a post on that website. It doesn't add anything content-wise, not without the "liker" giving a reason why he/she likes that post. And if "liker" doees that, he/she might as well type a new post anyway.

Personally speaking: Of course, the amount of likes could mean that a particular post is valuable, but that also means that you would need a way to highlight them or find other ways to get the post the attention it deserves. The amount of likes can also allow for a filter to those who only want to see posts that have at 2 or more likes for example. While such things may work on other sites, forum posts on DC I find interesting enough to go through all of them. Besides, the best curator of posts I want to read is me, not some arbitrary number.   

Deozaan:
Advocate of the devil here:  Would it then not become just a numbers game?  This post is liked by x amount of people on this forum? What does that add exactly?
-Shades (November 30, 2018, 08:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

The point of it would be so that you could express thanks or approval or give some form of feedback without having to create a new reply which would therefore ping everyone who has signed up to be notified of new replies. It also helps keep threads on topic instead of having a bunch of superfluous "thanks" or "nice" replies.

This would be especially handy, IMO, in threads such as the latest Steam or GOG giveaways.

As things are now, I have to choose between no reply at all (which can give the OP the idea that nobody cared about what they had to say/share) or possibly bothering a bunch of people with notifications just to say something like "thanks" or "I enjoyed that" etc. Often times I choose the former.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version