ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Privacy (collected references)

<< < (2/10) > >>

IainB:
@Deozaan: Where you write:
...Here's a more in depth paper on the subject:
"I've Got Nothing to Hide" and Other Misunderstandings of Privacy by Daniel J. Solove
Disclaimer: I haven't taken the time to read it yet, so I can't speak to its contents.
-Deozaan (June 28, 2018, 03:38 AM)
--- End quote ---
- thankyou!   :Thmbsup:

The post you link to is:
This is a tangentially related bit of irony:
I went to download a paper on privacy called "I've Got Nothing to Hide" and Other Misunderstandings of Privacy by Daniel J. Solove, but since the website detected that I was using an anonymous proxy, they tried to get me to register for an account so they could track me, and made me complete the reCAPTCHA three times when I insisted on clicking the (almost hidden) link to continue downloading anonymously.
-Deozaan (June 18, 2018, 07:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

I downloaded the paper (.PDF file) via the link you gave to ssrn.com. It seems to be a very informative paper by Daniel J Solove:
* © Daniel J. Solove 2007.  Associate Professor, George Washington University
Law School; J.D., Yale Law School.  Thanks to Chris Hoofnagle, Adam Moore, and Michael
Sullivan  for  helpful  comments,  and  to  my  research  assistant  Sheerin  Shahinpoor.    I
develop some of the ideas in this essay in significantly more depth in my forthcoming
book, Understanding Privacy, to be published by Harvard University Press in May 2008.

(From the footnote to the cover page of: “I’ve Got Nothing to Hide” and Other
Misunderstandings of Privacy.

--- End quote ---

Note: The .PDF file is attached to this post, for convenience, as per link below. It can also easily be viewed/downloaded direct from ssrn.com - here.

IainB:
Again from TheRegister, this time some possibly privacy-related news:
UK.gov is not being advised by Google. Repeat. It is not being advised by Google
DeepMind's 'Demis Hassabis is an individual' – Ministry of Fun
By Andrew Orlowski 29 Jun 2018 at 09:5517 Reg comments
demis hassabis
DeepMind co-founder Demis Hassabis (Pic: Debby Wong / Shutterstock.com)
Google is not advising the British government on AI, the Ministry of Fun assured this week, following the appointment of Google's Demis Hassabis as an advisor on AI.

The US ad, search and cloud biz acquired Hassabis' company DeepMind four years ago and he has since been a Google employee. In the wordsof The Guardian, Hassabis is "leading Google's project to build software more powerful than the human brain".

Earlier this week, the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport – aka the Ministry of Fun – announced the creation of a new "AI Council" and appointed Hassabis as its advisor. The department seemed pleased with landing such a trophy, explaining that Hassabis "will provide expert industry guidance to help the country build the skills and capability it needs to capitalise on the huge social and economic potential of AI – a key part of the Government's modern Industrial Strategy."

But just because a Google employee is giving the government advice, that doesn't necessarily mean a Google employee is giving the government advice. You would be quite wrong to think that.
(Read the rest at the link.)

Copied from: UK.gov is not being advised by Google. Repeat. It is not being advised by Google • The Register - <https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/06/29/ministry_of_fun_is_not_being_advised_by_google/>
--- End quote ---

Similarly, we can presumably be assured that US government is not being advised/influenced by Google...     :o

IainB:
In 2008/9 I was contracted as a project manager to establish and commence a project that was going to transform the gathering of revenue/tax data by doing it online. This was for individuals and accounting agents of SMBs (Small to Medium-sized Businesses). It was to automate and dramatically improve the efficiency and speed of the processes involved, which, up until then, had been prone to massive manual processing holdups.

Fast forward 9 years. I was doing my personal online tax return the other day and was impressed with how easy it was,, as the Inland Revenue already knew an awful lot of the private details about my income. What potentially had been likely to take me hours by the old methods was now taking minutes. This was for my individual tax return. (I had read in the press that the SMB side of things was still having hiccups though.)

Then my train of thought reminded me of this silly humour post I made in 2014:
Scott Adams Blog: Message to My Government 03/06/2014
Mar 6, 2014

I never felt too violated by the news that my government can snoop on every digital communication and financial transaction I make. Maybe I should have been more bothered, but the snooping wasn't affecting my daily life, and it seemed like it might be useful for fighting terrorism, so I worried about other things instead.

This week, as I was pulling together all of my records to do taxes, I didn't get too upset that the process of taxpaying is unnecessarily frustrating and burdensome. As a citizen, I do what I need to do. I'm a team player.

I have also come to peace with the fact that my government now takes about half of my income. I figure most of it goes to good causes. I'm here to help.

I take pride in the fact that I don't let the little things get to me.

But the other day, as I was crawling my way through mountains of statements and receipts, trying to organize my records for my accountant, with several more days of this drudgery ahead, I had a disturbing thought. I must warn you in advance that this disturbing thought can only be expressed in all capital letters and it must include profanity. It goes like this.

Message to my government:

DO MY FUCKING TAXES FOR ME, YOU ASSHOLES!!! YOU ALREADY KNOW EVERY FUCKING THING I DID THIS YEAR!!!

Seriously.
-IainB (March 11, 2014, 05:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

tomos:
You're on a roll Iain :up:

California post especially interesting.
Will have to catch up with earlier posts.

YannickDa:
That sounds great.
They've been caught with their hands in the honeypot,
"cambridge analytica", "facebook", "google"
(with some of their employees refusing to
work along with government's agencies), etc...
So, some laws were written and voted.
You can even access all that private data that was collected and click on a big "Erase" button.
This was just a little mistake.
But that won't happen again.
Everything is under control now.

Or perhaps they still have all this information.
Maybe the big "Erase" button didn't worked as expected.
IMHO, they will go on with their data gathering.
But they will take extra care as to not beeing caught again...

"Want To Freak Yourself Out?" Here Is All The Personal Data That Facebook/Google Collect

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version