ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Any program required to move files to a NAS.

<< < (5/10) > >>

Ath:
Should targetfiles have original fileattributes or do you wish for example remove/set Read-Only/Hidden attributes to a specific attribute?
-KodeZwerg (June 22, 2018, 06:34 PM)
--- End quote ---
If there are options to change attributes after copying, then those should apply, but otherwise, not preserving attributes (except the Archive bit) I'd probably report as a bug...

Must targetfiles have same Datestamp? (ATM target would get a fresh/new timestamp)
-KodeZwerg (June 22, 2018, 06:34 PM)
--- End quote ---
As this is supposed to be a copy/move tool, IMHO, it should be compatible with Windows, and keep the original timestamps like a normal copy would. Again, I'd report it as a bug if it didn't... despite the limited value of file timestamps.

Different but related topic:
Have you thought about the Alternate Data Streams (ADS) that can be stored on the NTFS filesystem? (Available since Windows 2000) They should be copied/moved when the destination filesystem is also NTFS, and probably/optionally give a warning or not delete the source when moving, when ADS's are found. A simple "dir /r" in a cmd prompt will show any ADS's for files that have them (try that in your Downloads folder..., NirSoft's AlternateStreamViewer can show you their content)

Ath:
I want a file to move a bunch of files from G:\Source on my windows 10 computer
to the following 12 hard drives on my NAS
-Craig381 (June 21, 2018, 02:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
A question that I should have formulated earlier:
Why haven't you configured your NAS to present all those harddrives as a single logical volume? Optionally adding (checksum) redundancy by configuring it to use RAID? Several RAID configurations can usually be selected in most NAS systems, even if only running from software instead of a hardware RAID controller. If you want to maximize storage availability, JBOD instead of RAID could have solved this too.

You might want to share your NAS make and model so help on this subject can be provided on request.

KodeZwerg:
If there are options to change attributes after copying, then those should apply, but otherwise, not preserving attributes (except the Archive bit) I'd probably report as a bug...
As this is supposed to be a copy/move tool, IMHO, it should be compatible with Windows, and keep the original timestamps like a normal copy would. Again, I'd report it as a bug if it didn't... despite the limited value of file timestamps.-Ath (June 24, 2018, 03:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
Hello Ath, thank you for telling, i would like to explain how i do:
I do copy only files content (ie: i read in a stream and write that to target, it is a 1:1 copy of original content, realized with Delphi Filestream)
I will take your bugs and squish them by implementing more Copy Methods (Winapi: CopyFile; MoveFile; SHFileOperation), would that satisfy?
Since my method use Streams to read/write, original attributes and timestamp are lost with my own method, implemented checkboxes to set them back to original what cost performance (i need to touch everything twice), so i let user define. (by default all checkboxes are set to give most compatible target)

If you wonder why i use Streams for read/write, simple answer:
1. copy progress is faster than Winapi
2. i can react on bad-sectors, Winapi would fail, my method can atleast skip bad-parts (while let user decide what to do on read errors)
to clarify:
first i try using normal stream to read/write, on read errors i switch to hardware mode wich is like:
read file direct from partition, byte by byte and skipping bad. This feature is alpha phase, fragmentation is my enemy :-)
Different but related topic:
Have you thought about the Alternate Data Streams (ADS) that can be stored on the NTFS filesystem? (Available since Windows 2000) They should be copied/moved when the destination filesystem is also NTFS, and probably/optionally give a warning or not delete the source when moving, when ADS's are found. A simple "dir /r" in a cmd prompt will show any ADS's for files that have them (try that in your Downloads folder..., NirSoft's AlternateStreamViewer can show you their content)-Ath (June 24, 2018, 03:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
My only experience with ADS is to remove them. Eg: Download a .exe file with InternetExplorer, when you try to run .exe your Windows is telling that file might be unsafe because its downloaded, my ADS-Remover would fix that situation, no more "file might unsafe" warnings, more experience i havent made yet! I will investigate your linked resource and see what i can do. Thank you!

My App is not intended to be a "Cloner" yet (additional NTFS Security Attributes, Windows GUIDs, other OS-Specific Information are not handled yet!)
For now it realy just do 1:1 content copies. My App handle "1:1 content, Standard-file attributes, Datetimestamp"

Ath:
If you wonder why i use Streams for read/write
-KodeZwerg (June 24, 2018, 05:01 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well, though I appreciate your effort, I'm on the same page as @mouser: I'd like to copy/move the file as safe as possible, so using Operating System native tools has my preference. Even if that means I have to use other tools for copying files from a damaged source. In that case there are wholly different problems to solve :tellme:
Offering an option to use SHFileOperation calls will be my standard setting, might I need/use this tool.

Transferring attributes and timestamps when moving/copying files is still a priority (in my case: requirement, with exceptions as stated in a previous post), independent of the way the file is copied. The few milliseconds of setting them is almost neglectable compared to the time transferring the data, or updating the UI (appending a line into a text control?) for that matter.

KodeZwerg:
I will respect any comment and wishes! Main Gui is now destroyed, i create a complete new one wich has
a) better structure
b) include a real configuration dialog where you setup your personal defaults

I might skip for now bad-sector reading to have a working sample finally ready and then re-work on everything.
Configuration for several copy methods (including my own) aint a challenge and as default it will run with native OS Apis, no problem.
I need to test a bit with native Api how good it can handle (super) hidden files.

Second thing what i cant tell yet if i am able to use Progressbar with Api.... need to figure such things out.
For "Full Progress" it isnt a problem since it just counts files down.

Middle next week a first public-working-demo-version should be avail. What i have tested so far work well. (each function tested solo in own apps)
Rule-Set is now a simple String-Grid with Add/Remove/Edit abilities, still not satisfy myself, i hate to design such things but i think after preview version is out i can redesign things that bother myself and respect every other following comment for it.

Later on my Todo list will follow "Profiles" to setup several jobs. Maby add bass.dll interface to let users play background music, but thats just gimmicks for very much later if at all.

Not a promise but at end, when everything works like it should be, i planned to transform everything to non-Vcl pure Api designed (.exe size will shrink down to 50-100kb)
PS: Vcl stands for Visual Component Library, its a part of Delphi. All visible content belongs to it (Controls)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version