ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Beware of punycode phishing attempts

<< < (3/4) > >>

4wd:
Actually the point I was driving at is the Windows shell itself fell for the exploit when I put the link on the Windows Clipboard and pasted it into the FireFox address bar. FF never got a chance to pass/fail, it was just being used for an edit field.

Case in point, copy the link to the clipboard and paste it into Notepad … It comes off the clipboard as apple.com
-Stoic Joker (June 19, 2018, 09:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

That might be Notepad, pasting into Notepad++ shows http://xn--80ak6aa92e.com/ (unless I've misunderstood something).

Ah, I see what you mean now, copying out of Edge it shows as apple.com, I was copying out of Vivaldi which gave the correct link.

FWIW:
Vivaldi - OK
K-Meleon (Goanna engine) - OK
Iridium - OK
SlimJet - OK
Puffin - OK
Edge - OK
Firefox 52 ESR - Fail
Basilisk - Fail
Chromium - Fail

Last 3 aren't the absolute latest version.

wraith808:
Actually the point I was driving at is the Windows shell itself fell for the exploit when I put the link on the Windows Clipboard and pasted it into the FireFox address bar. FF never got a chance to pass/fail, it was just being used for an edit field.

Case in point, copy the link to the clipboard and paste it into Notepad … It comes off the clipboard as apple.com
--- End quote ---

Strange.  Mine worked - it just pasted the url direct.  Do you have something else in the background that might be the cause of it?

4wd:
Strange.  Mine worked - it just pasted the url direct.  Do you have something else in the background that might be the cause of it?-wraith808 (June 19, 2018, 10:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just seems to be when copying it out of Edge, (and maybe IE)  ... seems more like Edge is 'converting' it before it hits the clipboard since it copies out of other browsers OK.

Stoic Joker:

--- End quote ---

Strange.  Mine worked - it just pasted the url direct.  Do you have something else in the background that might be the cause of it?
-wraith808 (June 19, 2018, 10:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not really a fan of addons, so there shouldn't be.

I tried it starting with this page loaded in different browsers:

IE got the link hover name correct and threw a Punny error on navigation to xn--80ak6aa92e.com, but botched the paste (аррӏе.com)

FF got the link hover name wrong, navigated to "Apple.com", but got the paste right (xn--80ak6aa92e.com).

Edge got hover link right, navigated to xn--80ak6aa92e.com, but got paste wrong (аррӏе.com).

SlimJet got hover link wrong, navigated to "apple.com", and got paste wrong (аррӏе.com).

wraith808:
I don't have firefox installed, but I opened this page in Edge, navigated to it (fine), copied the text from this page, and pasted it into Chrome, and it was fine....

I just got what you meant.  You right-clicked on it, and it pasted wrong.  Is that right?  I was selecting and copying it, and it was right.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version