ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

making a single .jpg from a web-page that is over one screen long

<< < (4/6) > >>

Steven Avery:
For now we only know that OP encounters some kind of issue when posting PNG pictures to forums working with vBulletin, which seems to be the only reason —although I guess it may be a fair enough one, if the issue is too bothersome and can't be fixed— why he favors JPG.
-ConstanceJill (June 14, 2018, 02:29 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, the issue was simply that the .JPG would fill up the page in vBulletin on the large sizes.  The .PNG would make a smaller image to the left. For my purposes, I generally like the biggies.

tomos:
Yes, the issue was simply that the .JPG would fill up the page in vBulletin on the large sizes.  The .PNG would make a smaller image to the left. For my purposes, I generally like the biggies.
-Steven Avery (June 14, 2018, 02:51 AM)
--- End quote ---
Would be interesting to hear if that also the case with screenshots taken by other softwares

wraith808:
I just "instinctively" thought PNG was very likely to be better for webpages because from my own (admittedly subjective) experience, I found that most web pages produce both lighter and better quality pictures being saved as PNG, unless the contents of the page includes a significant portion made of pictures (especially if those are already in JPEG), and thus it seemed only natural to question the choice of JPG.

For now we only know that OP encounters some kind of issue when posting PNG pictures to forums working with vBulletin, which seems to be the only reason —although I guess it may be a fair enough one, if the issue is too bothersome and can't be fixed— why he favors JPG.
-ConstanceJill (June 14, 2018, 02:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sometimes I've found that JPG is better still.  The PNGs on some (even not photographs) is very much larger.  I still like PNGs better, but after anecdotal evidence (especially with photographs as you state), I always check the size and go with whichever works best for the situation.

allen:
JPG format really doesn't do websites/text well. If you want clarity, PNG is just going to work a lot better. Personally, I'd use the Awesome Screenshot extension for the capture and then run the image through https://tinypng.com/ to optimize file size.

Ath:
What I read from the OP is that not the smallest file is the issue, but the fact that vBulletin displays the jpg's larger then png's. And in the end that's just a setting/style fix on the vBulletin side...

From that startingpoint, the discussion on jpg vs. png, it comes down to the actual use, seeing that jpg is crap on fine details, but quite alright on photos, where png is very good in fine details, but also good in photos, with the side note that those png-photo files seem to be a tad larger than their jpg counterparts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version