ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Hating on AVG antivirus/firewall (internet security)

<< < (2/5) > >>

wraith808:
Funny story.  I have a laptop from my company that they have for me to take home.  They've become more and more restrictive, to the point that to even use webmail you have to connect to to the vpn.  On my home computer, I set up a virtualbox, used one of my mb lifetime licenses on that box, and connect that way.  On my laptop, they're using Kaspersky.  They updated kaspersky, and I did the reboot, and Kaspersky was completely borked.  I hate Kaspersky already, but that made me hate  it with a passion.  I tried to re-enable windows defender, but whatever they did to disable it appears to be permanent.  Kaspersky said to repair it, but lo and behold they have disabled the repair option with administrative policy.  So I downloaded a trial of malwarebytes, and am back up and running- hopefully support will get back to me within 14 days (it's been 2 days so far of non-productive time :-\).  They seem to care more about security and vpns than productivity, so who am I to argue?

Carol Haynes:
Windows Defender / Firewall and Malwarebytes for me.

Don't know if you are aware but Avast now owns AVG - Avast was supposed to be a light AV but has gradually succumbed to bloatware. I always thought AVG was more bloated than Avast but they seem to be going the same way now.

Shades:
Funny story.  I have a laptop from my company that they have for me to take home.  They've become more and more restrictive, to the point that to even use webmail you have to connect to to the vpn.
-wraith808 (June 05, 2018, 12:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

That might have to do with DNS registration and security (through obscurity). When you connect with VPN to your company's network, your system becomes part of that network and features such as webmail do not require to be completely/correctly/properly configured to become accessible for the computers in your company's network. Which makes for (much) less direct attack vectors that people outside your company's network can use to wreak havoc.

Such things suck for legit external use...but as you stated, security trumps productivity, right? 

On the AV topic:
For those that do not want or can use WinDefender, there is BitDefender, which has barely any interface to speak of, but also doesn't bother you much with advertorial pop-ups. Not sure about its consumption of resources, but the lack of nagging is in my book a blessing.   

wraith808:
Funny story.  I have a laptop from my company that they have for me to take home.  They've become more and more restrictive, to the point that to even use webmail you have to connect to to the vpn.
-wraith808 (June 05, 2018, 12:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

That might have to do with DNS registration and security (through obscurity). When you connect with VPN to your company's network, your system becomes part of that network and features such as webmail do not require to be completely/correctly/properly configured to become accessible for the computers in your company's network. Which makes for (much) less direct attack vectors that people outside your company's network can use to wreak havoc.
-Shades (June 06, 2018, 10:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, I understand it.  It's just stupid.  Especially when your VPN software locks just about everyone remote out of the software at some point, reducing productivity to zero.  We even have a public e-mail thread about people sharing methods that they've used to connect when AnyConnect isn't working.

erikts:
The Windows Firewall is good and doesn't demand much resources. It's interface isn't that great, but there are solutions for that as well.
-Shades (June 04, 2018, 12:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

What is the best solution that you use? Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version