ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft to buy GitHub in $7.5B all-stock deal

<< < (9/13) > >>

Tuxman:
I don’t think that the number of external projects which use your code should be relevant metrics for you to decide about the future of your code.

wraith808:
Anyone here still using GitHub?
Enjoy losing access just because they don't like your commits.
-Tuxman (January 09, 2022, 09:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

From what I read, he posted malicious code to his repo. Is that correct? And Microsoft suspended his account for that?

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/9/22874949/developer-corrupts-open-source-libraries-projects-affected

Seems legit if this is the case. And this is one of the reasons I fork repos that I use rather than just using them.

Tuxman:
From what I read, he posted malicious code to his repo. Is that correct?
-wraith808 (January 10, 2022, 07:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

He committed code that did not work as expected into his own repositories containing his own free code.

Why exactly is Microsoft entitled to deny that?

wraith808:
From what I read, he posted malicious code to his repo. Is that correct?
-wraith808 (January 10, 2022, 07:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

He committed code that did not work as expected into his own repositories containing his own free code.

Why exactly is Microsoft entitled to deny that?
-Tuxman (January 10, 2022, 08:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

Because if something is checked into a repo that is obviously wrong, it can be construed as a compromise of the account, resulting in the locking of the account. It's a security measure until it can be verified. Just as it's inconvenient if I'm using my credit card and something is determined that it might be fraud and I have to verify it. It's annoying, but in the end, in the case that someone does hack the account, I'd consider it useful.

Tuxman:
Because if something is checked into a repo that is obviously wrong, it can be construed as a compromise of the account, resulting in the locking of the account.
-wraith808 (January 10, 2022, 11:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

So Microsoft (I will not say anything about Windows Me here... or should I?) has decided that you must not check in obviously wrong code into your own repositories?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version