ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft to buy GitHub in $7.5B all-stock deal

<< < (8/13) > >>

f0dder:
Although it is more work, I would recommend to do a GitLab installation from the ground up. The Docker solution (or similar software) is decent, but I barely see how Docker is helping me for my particular use-cases.-Shades (July 15, 2018, 10:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
Docker is pretty great, even if you don't plan to use it for scaling out. All setup and configuration is codified, so you don't miss a point in an install step, and getting an instance up and running is fast. The isolation it offers is pretty good as well - not as good as a full-blown VM, of course, but because of how lightweight it is, you can afford to containerize pretty much all the services you have running on a single machine.

And there's lots of other nice uses for it. Like, being able to create a Linux filesystem image (think custom RaspBerry Pi or custom device firmware) from a Windows or macOS machine, without booting up a VM and transferring files in and out of that. Or making sure everybody on the team has a similar runtime dev env for testing, regardless of host OS. Or being able to build <whatever_language>*<whatever_version> binaries without drowning in dependency hell on a single host OS.

While Docker for Windows is great for development work, I wouldn't run production stuff on it - it's simply not ready for that kind of prime-time yet. There's performance issues as well as bugs... we have a customer who insists on running stuff on Windows servers (because that's what their hosting company knows, and they use that hosting company because the CEOs are buddy-bros) - we have to restart the stuff because the current stable version has a bad leak in vpnkit. Ouch.

wraith808:
So, a new development on this story:

from https://blog.github.com/2019-01-07-new-year-new-github/ via https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/07/all-github-users-keep-code-private/

Historically, if you've wanted to create a private repository on GitHub, you had to be a paying user, but that's about to change. Starting today, free GitHub users will have access to unlimited private projects as long as there are three or fewer collaborators on board. For larger projects, you'll have to join a paid plan or make your code public, as GitHub isn't changing how it manages public repositories.

--- End quote ---

Tuxman:
Years after everyone who needed that had already joined the superior Bitbucket.  :)

Tuxman:
Anyone here still using GitHub?
Enjoy losing access just because they don't like your commits.

Deozaan:
Anyone here still using GitHub?
Enjoy losing access just because they don't like your commits.
-Tuxman (January 09, 2022, 09:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hopefully that guy, who intentionally sabotaged his code that thousands of other projects were dependent on, was using git "the right way" and has local/backup copies of all his repositories elsewhere. Also, hopefully he gets the mental help he needs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version