ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Windows 10 April 2018 upgrade woes - anyone any ideas?

<< < (3/4) > >>

4wd:
Windows Update MiniTool still works, you can use it to choose, (un)hide, and install updates.

Windows 10  April 2018 upgrade woes - anyone any ideas?

Install via Chocolatey or download from a software repo, eg. MajorGeeks

wraith808:
Windows Update MiniTool still works, you can use it to choose, (un)hide, and install updates.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Install via Chocolatey or download from a software repo, eg. MajorGeeks
-4wd (June 03, 2018, 02:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Does that solve the problem of the OS randomly installing updates?  Or is this just an alternative to using Windows Update?

Carol Haynes:
Does that solve the problem of the OS randomly installing updates?  Or is this just an alternative to using Windows Update?
-wraith808 (June 03, 2018, 12:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Seems to be a long thread about it here ion Windows 10 - doesn't seem to be a panacea: https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/33521-windows-update-minitool.html

wraith808:
Hmmm...

You have no option to prevent WU from installing updates in the Home version.

--- End quote ---

That's indeed what I've found in practice.  I've been able to fight with it to delay for a while (sometimes a long while), but in the end, it always wins.  I could disable it, but that has never been tenable to me.

Carol Haynes:
The show/hide utility from MS should allow you to delay installations indefinitely but you have to spot them before they ionstall them. The only way I can see it working is to disable the WU service - then regualrly enable it, run show hide, install what you want and then disable it again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version