ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Windows 10 April 2018 upgrade woes - anyone any ideas?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Thanks @shades - that is worth bookmarking!!!

Don't you just hate it when manufacturer's insist on installing unneccessary crap!!!

wraith808:
Microsoft pretty much ruined their OS that broke the mold of even numbered releases being terrible with a few bad decisions.  This insistence that you have to get all of their updates, and making it hard to make a decision for your computer was one of them.  Even the vaunted delay and schedule doesn't work- on the 21st of May, it prompted me.  I said delay until the 26th as I've pretty much given up trying to get around it, but was in the middle of some research for a writing project, and couldn't be interrupted, and then had the rest of the week to contend with.  I was done with my research for the night, so went to bed.  The next morning?  My machine had rebooted and the update was installed.

And yes, to forestall the old you can try another OS argument, I've tried other OSes, and they all leave something to be desired- they just have their cons in different places in my experience.

Carol Haynes:
And yes, to forestall the old you can try another OS argument, I've tried other OSes, and they all leave something to be desired- they just have their cons in different places in my experience.
-wraith808 (June 02, 2018, 09:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

You can try this - had mixed results: Windows Update Hide/Show http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab - basically gives you a hide option for updates like in Windows 7.

Personally I have simply disabled the Windows update service on my system and run it when I am ready to do updates. The other alternative is just mark your network as metered and then it won't do updates unless you turn metered off.

wraith808:
We really need a thumbs up type of thing, so you can thank someone without having to write a needless post :)

I say all that to say... thanks!  Useful information!  :Thmbsup:

Carol Haynes:
 :Thmbsup:

:D :D :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version