ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Windows 10 April 2018 upgrade woes - anyone any ideas?

<< < (4/4)

4wd:
You have no option to prevent WU from installing updates in the Home version.

--- End quote ---

That's indeed what I've found in practice.  I've been able to fight with it to delay for a while (sometimes a long while), but in the end, it always wins.  I could disable it, but that has never been tenable to me.
-wraith808 (June 03, 2018, 03:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yep, always been the case with W10Home, it's why I avoid it.

Seems to be a long thread about it here ion Windows 10 - doesn't seem to be a panacea: https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/33521-windows-update-minitool.html-Carol Haynes (June 03, 2018, 01:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

All except the last page and a half pertain to previous versions that required another piece of software to run, (as mentioned by IainB back here), the last version (2016-12-20) is basically standalone.

It's too bad wsoffline won't let you pick and choose what updates to install since you could leave the update service permanently disabled then.

Re. OP problem with the drive, I have one computer here that uses a Seagate 2.5" 500GB HDD, it has to run with the HDDs set to not spin down because the Seagate will lock up the machine when it tries to spin up after sleep, hibernate, etc.  Works absolutely fine from power on and it's been like that since it was installed as a new HDD on Windows 8.1.
Very strange considering it's basically a laptop HDD and designed for that ... must be a BIOS thing but unfortunately it's an old board so no new updates.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version