topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 5:12 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Ghostery Tries to Comply With GDPR, but Ends Up Violating GDPR in the Process  (Read 3033 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The company behind Ghostery, a privacy-focused browser and an ad-blocking browser extension,  has apologized for a technical error that occurred last Friday when its staff was sending out GDPR-themed notification emails.

According to numerous user reports, Ghostery sent out emails that exposed the addresses of other users.

The emails were sent to batches of 500 users at the same time, and every user in each batch was able to see the email addresses of the other users.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The emails were sent to batches of 500 users at the same time, and every user in each batch was able to see the email addresses of the other users.

:o oooh, that was a bad mistake for anyone, but especially coming from a "a privacy-focused browser and an ad-blocking browser extension"
Tom

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
How does Ghostery have users email addresses? I used Ghostery in the past and it didn't require me to create an account or anything.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I assume syncing settings. Ghostery also has 'added functionalty' when you sign up but I have never seen an explicit mention of what it is (I haven't signed up to try to see it myself).

If it is indeed syncing it once again highlights the achilles of internet for me. In the past on DC I have mentioned online syncing of passwords is a bad idea and in today's everything is eventually hacked world I wouldn't do it, but signing up for ghostery syncing is, at the risk of getting flamed for saying it, lazy

gho.JPGGhostery Tries to Comply With GDPR, but Ends Up Violating GDPR in the Process