ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

WINRAR free this sunday 30th July 2006

<< < (2/9) > >>

AbteriX:
Thanks for the info, kimmchii  :Thmbsup:

mwb1100:
Hoo boy, I bet that's gonna be a dificult link to actually get to...  it's not Sunday yet, and I'm getting:

Warning: mysql_pconnect() [function.mysql-pconnect]: #08004Too many connections in /opt/www/wwwroot/www.win-rar.com/html/t3lib/class.t3lib_db.php on line 813
--- End quote ---

Sentinel:
Wow, this is pretty cool even though it is locked to a single version.  I doubt it will be a problem for most people though as nothing significant has been added to WinRAR for years (LZMA please!).

On the other hand, from a security perspective this potentially undermines Authenticity Verification bigtime as with a bit of effort you can no doubt get multiple licenses masquerading as whoever.  Well, if the site is up in the first place.  :P

mwb1100:
The offer is for Sunday, Central European Time - so it's open now!

jdd:
I have been using 7-Zip which has always been free and Open Source.   And I was under the impression it has greater compression ratio than WinRAR, especially with multiple files .  Can someone set me straight?

The main features of 7-Zip:

* High compression ratio in new 7z format with LZMA compression
    * 7-Zip is free software distributed under the GNU LGPL
    * Supported formats:
          o Packing / unpacking: 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2 and TAR
          o Unpacking only: RAR, CAB, ISO, ARJ, LZH, CHM, Z, CPIO, RPM, DEB and NSIS
    * For ZIP and GZIP formats 7-Zip provides compression ratio that is 2-10 % better than ratio provided by PKZip and WinZip
    * Self-extracting capability for 7z format
    * Integration with Windows Shell
    * Powerful File Manager
    * Powerful command line version
    * Plugin for FAR Manager
    * Localizations for 63 languages
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version