ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

ACDSee Photo Software on offer until 23d May

<< < (2/4) > >>

rjbull:
@tomos,

Do you have any preliminary comments?  I wondered if you use RAW files, and if so, how ACDSee compares with your previous system.  As well as its tagging/organisation system; not everybody likes the Lightroom approach.  Plenty of other Digital Asset Management (DAM) sofware exists, e.g. Photo Mechanic and FotoStation, but they tend to be expensive, aimed at pros.

@Tuxman,

quoting ACDSee - Wikipediaw:
Free version

In August 2012, ACD Systems released ACDSee Free, which retains all viewing features for the most common image formats (BMP, GIF, JPEG, PNG, TGA, TIFF, WBMP, PCX, PIC, WMF, EMF); it lacks a thumbnail browser, and support for RAW and ICO formats. A reviewer at BetaNews found it "fast, configurable and easy to use". The version runs on Windows XP or newer. Product was discontinued in August 2013.
--- End quote ---

Tuxman:
Wait, what was I using then? Illegal software?  :huh:

rjbull:
Wait, what was I using then? Illegal software?  :huh:
-Tuxman (June 17, 2018, 05:20 PM)
--- End quote ---
Not necessarily...  I quoted Wikipedia, which is not definitive: and it's possible that your memory for fact is better than your memory for time.  This used to happen to me at work a lot.  Someone would ask, do you remember so-and-so, about six months ago?  I'd check and find it was two years ago, or they might (less often) say two years whereas it was only six months.  IOW, you might correctly remember that you used a free version, but maybe it wasn't in the 90s.

I looked at the OldVersion page for ACDSee but their data isn't complete, a lot of dates missing, and they don't list license details anyway.  A (very brief) web search for "last free version" didn't turn up an immediately obvious result.  Odd, given that it's quite well known.

Tuxman:
Or I was just not paying for the shareware.  ;D
Some Wikipedia research told me that it was later called "ACDSee Classic" (ACDSee32). Well, memories...  :-[

tomos:
@tomos,

Do you have any preliminary comments?  I wondered if you use RAW files, and if so, how ACDSee compares with your previous system.  As well as its tagging/organisation system; not everybody likes the Lightroom approach.  Plenty of other Digital Asset Management (DAM) sofware exists, e.g. Photo Mechanic and FotoStation, but they tend to be expensive, aimed at pros.
-rjbull (June 17, 2018, 04:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
eh, no :-[
still havent installed it even...
Re RAW -- I dont use RAW files, but may consider it when I have this up and running (this might prompt me to get going with it).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version