ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

Wanted - Free (or cheap) wifi calling app for Android

(1/3) > >>

app103:
I purchased a new mobile phone and moved my sim card to it, so that I can use the T-Mobile service I am paying for, with the new phone.

But I still have my old mobile phone (Moto G3), now without any sort of carrier, service, or phone number that would allow me to make or receive calls on it.

What I am looking for is an Android app/service that would give that phone a new life, with a new number and allow making/receiving real phone calls over wifi only, without the need for the phone to be attached to a traditional non-wifi carrier. It would be used for US calls, only, no international usage.

What I don't want is a service that will require me to pay per minute or buy an allotment of minutes in advance, or require me to view ads or complete offers to earn credits that can be spent to make/receive calls. (I don't have time for that nonsense). I also am not looking for texting, video calls, text chatting, or any other frills (if the service comes with it, fine, but I don't need it and won't use it). I just need voice calling. I also don't want something that would require others to have and use the same app, in order to "call" me. (there's no shortage of apps that can do that, including Facebook, Skype, and a bunch of others) I also do not want ads on my lock screen or unexpected ad popups.

I don't mind paying a cheap fee, around $20 to $30 per year, but am against paying anything much more than that, as I don't expect to use it very much.

Basically, I am looking to turn the old phone into something that has a phone number that only works at home or if I am somewhere where I can connect to some sort of wifi, including free wifi.

Google Voice is out, since your phone has to have an existing phone number to set it up on your phone, and all incoming calls would get forwarded to that number, rather than to my currently numberless phone, and all outgoing calls would require an existing carrier to provide the voice minutes that would be used. Since this phone is no longer connected to a traditional carrier, I can't do that.

mwb1100:
Skype has a US calling option with unlimited minutes for $3 per month.  However, it's not clear to me if this also provides you with a phone number so people can all you (called a "Skype Number") or if that's something you have to pay separately for. 

Disclaimer: I haven't used Skye in years, and Skype gives very little information about these features without having an account.

Deozaan:
Google Voice/Hangouts should still work after the initial setup (on any device).

I've been using my Google Voice number for about 10 years, and use Hangouts to make and receive calls, but haven't had "phone service" with any mobile provider for the last 2-3 years. In fact, I don't even really have a phone anymore. I use Hangouts on my computer, or even make do with Hangouts on my tablet when I'm away from my PC.

As for Skype, it has been many years since I used it (probably about 10 years, since I stopped needing it when I got a phone and Google Voice), but back when I did use it, I believe it cost about $30/year to call anywhere in the USA and another $30/year for a phone number so people could call me. $60 per year seemed like a bargain even back then when the alternative was to get a land line for $35+/mo or a mobile phone plan for $50+/mo.

kalos:
WhatsApp

Shades:
@app103
Don't know how the situation in the US is, but here in PY I got a prepay sim card and I am using that for more than 10 years now and the last time I "charged" it with call minutes is almost 2 years ago. My phone receives voice calls normally and I can make/receive voice calls through WiFi (WhatsApp).

The reason I don't charge my phone with money anymore is that I hardly make voice calls and on the moments I needed to It was always without "saldo" (as they call it here), because telco's here charge you for commercial messages they send to you. After deciding that such a game isn't worth playing at all, I just stopped charging my phone with "saldo" and see where I end up. I receive much less commercial messages and till now no message that the sim card will be taken out of service if I don't put "saldo" on the phone.

Sim-only pre-paid numbers are not available to you? It might worth a try to find that out, because that would seem to me the simplest way to keep using your old phone well within budget and with luck even free.

This article on How-to-geek, might prove to be useful as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version