ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Ideas for getting more users to pay for your software

<< < (2/2)

wraith808:
Anuran does something similar, and is what I used before I started using WakaTime.

McMick:
However your calculations arrive at a number you're OK with, I'm just saying most people I know of get paid by the hour, so that's why I was thinking it'd be a good indicator as to how much work you had to put into it. Of course, it's not only the coding, but all the other stuff that goes with it: equipment, electric bill, testing, etc. and it may not be for everyone. If you knocked an incredibly useful bit of code together in an hour, and it saves everyone a ton of time, maybe an hourly rate figure wouldn't be the wisest choice for calculating your compensation. But most coders I know are working on many things and all of that takes time and energy. Maybe you could aggregate all your work and arrive at a figure from that.

I'm just coming from the perspective that a lot of people seem to have a blind spot and won't see that "donate" button, and it turns them off to be nagged, so I was trying to think of a way to get their attention without being annoying and simultaneously make the coder more relatable as a fellow human being who wants to get rewarded for his or her efforts. I figure if they see an hourly rate, they'll know right away whether you're getting at least a living wage from your work. As an aside, interestingly, spellcheck doesn't match the word relatable. :huh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version