ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Review/Tips: "Scanning - VueScan and Associates" Pt.I: Intro & Bookscanning

<< < (10/10)

tomos:
[deleted]

In this post I was originally complaining about the lack of options on the Standard VueScan:
if you look at the first screenshot, you can see that you have to manually change it from basic settings to standard (or pro). I've never seen this on software before so I somehow glazed over it. I also didnt notice this during the short trial and reluctantly bought the software to get a scanner working.
FWIW I still dont see any option to modify compression of saved file (it's fairly high). But otherwise I'm happier now than I was.

PS I dont recommend ticking the Dark Mode option -- this gets turned on for all of Windows!

tomos:
May as well post this here too:
after purchasing VueScan (Standard) I got an email giving me a free license for the Standard Softmaker Office (which is €79,95 here including VAT/sales tax).
FWIW I'm a fan of Softmaker -- it's quick, and very compatible with MS Office.
No idea how long the offer is for... they say "This month":

Thank you for purchasing VueScan! This month, we've teamed up with SoftMaker to offer SoftMaker Standard 2021 for free to all of our customers. You can learn more about SoftMaker here and you can click the link below anytime in the next 7 days to redeem your free license.

Redeem Free SoftMaker Standard 2021 License

--- End quote ---

brahman:
FWIW I still dont see any option to modify compression of saved file (it's fairly high).
-tomos (March 11, 2022, 09:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don"t know about the standard version, but in the professional version there are several options that modify the file size on the output tab:

Review/Tips: "Scanning - VueScan and Associates" Pt.I: Intro & Bookscanning

F.e.:
JPG/TIFF/PDF size reduction
JPG quality
PDF compression
PDF file type

tomos:
I don"t know about the standard version, but in the professional version there are several options that modify the file size on the output tab:
-brahman (March 14, 2022, 04:50 AM)
--- End quote ---
is fair enough imo -- if you want serious quality and control you're going to go for the pro version.
There probably is a workaround if you do need a very high quality scan in the Standard version: scan as Tiff. Compression of Tiff files is AFAIK non-destructive, can then be edited & saved as filetype of choice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version