ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Comparative Review of Writers' Tools (INITIAL DRAFT)

<< < (15/24) > >>

wraith808:
That makes complete sense. I'd always regarded Gingko as a keyboard oriented, text based card system with some organisation, but was concerned I was missing something when I saw references to it being a visual system.
-Dormouse (June 01, 2018, 09:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think visual as in you can visualize the organization better in that horizontal format.  At least, I've found that I do.

Dormouse:
I think visual as in you can visualize the organization better in that horizontal format.  At least, I've found that I do.-wraith808 (June 01, 2018, 11:41 AM)
--- End quote ---
That ties in with designs using tabs. Most people work better with a grid system rather than everything being on a single tree (vertical or horizontal - though which is vertical and which horizontal has an impact); we interpret the organisation differently according to how it is presented even when it is structurally identical. I don't think that is actually visual, more the way this particular presentation makes it easier or harder to correlate with the organisation we have in our minds. It's one of the issues I was going to address in my conclusions.

wraith808:
I think visual as in you can visualize the organization better in that horizontal format.  At least, I've found that I do.-wraith808 (June 01, 2018, 11:41 AM)
--- End quote ---
That ties in with designs using tabs. Most people work better with a grid system rather than everything being on a single tree (vertical or horizontal - though which is vertical and which horizontal has an impact); we interpret the organisation differently according to how it is presented even when it is structurally identical. I don't think that is actually visual, more the way this particular presentation makes it easier or harder to correlate with the organisation we have in our minds. It's one of the issues I was going to address in my conclusions.

-Dormouse (June 01, 2018, 01:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Perhaps not visual in the sense that you're thinking- but more of a visualization, i.e. it helps you to formulate a visual image of the information rather than just seeing text.

Dormouse:
I have now posted the RightNote table.

It has a perfectly good word processor, but is not aimed at writers. If I were using the information in it - or in Evernote - I would have no problem in using it to write; otherwise I would choose something else.

Next stop Gingko, a very different beast.

Dormouse:
I have now put up the Gingko table.

It says it is a horizontal tree starting from the left, but can as easily be constructed to go up or down; I'm not sure whether users in languages that read from right to left would prefer the horizontal direction reversed.

It is a very flexible program for keyboard oriented, pure text users; less so, but still usable for other people. Probably one of the most approachable writing systems out there.

Payment level (within limits) can be decided by users to reflect fact that not all users are in the same financtial position.

Personally, I wouldn't want to write anything long in it - the narrow columns and inability to return a card to the default size are too restricting. But a lot of people seem OK with that.

Next, I think I will do a completely contrasting card based system - NoteZilla.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version