ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Comparative Review of Writers' Tools (INITIAL DRAFT)

<< < (8/24) > >>

wraith808:
I'm using it with multiple sections of a larger novel, and haven't experienced the slowdown that you mention.  Have you put your problem on the forum?  He's very responsive as I mentioned. 

The abandonment of Page Four was to transition to this from his own admission.  I guess I just view the past in a more favorable light.  He's never hidden it, nor merely abandoned, so I don't view it as a negative in his case.

Dormouse:
I'm using it with multiple sections of a larger novel, and haven't experienced the slowdown that you mention.-wraith808 (May 21, 2018, 04:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
It's just slower than I expected; I don't know that it changes speed.
I've seen it referred to in another forum, when I looked.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's connected to all the documents in the document tree being saved outside the database as full Word documents. I think other programs save documents within the database primarily as text. Word itself isn't megafast at opening a lot of documents.

I'd need to be more actively interested to get involved in discussions on the forum. I don't rule out changing my mind, but I've got a lot of other programs to look at first.

wraith808:
They are rtf documents, not word documents which are by far simpler in format.

Scrivener saves in the same format.

Dormouse:
I took it from The Atomic Scribbler Blog
There are two key folders inside the project folder: Documents and .atomic. The Documents folder contains a series of documents in Word and RTF formats, each with a number for a name (12.docx, 87.rtf, etc.). When you create a new scene or note, a document is created in this folder to store the contents of that scene. And the best part is, as the formats Atomic uses (Word and RTF) are so common, you can open any of these small documents with Word or any other word processor. Your work is never stored in a proprietary format and can always be recovered — even if Atomic Scribbler is not on the scene.
--- End quote ---
If it's not that, I have no idea why it feels a little slower than I see with other similar programs. If that's something you don't see, then it must presumably be a system variable.

wraith808:
I took it from The Atomic Scribbler Blog
There are two key folders inside the project folder: Documents and .atomic. The Documents folder contains a series of documents in Word and RTF formats, each with a number for a name (12.docx, 87.rtf, etc.). When you create a new scene or note, a document is created in this folder to store the contents of that scene. And the best part is, as the formats Atomic uses (Word and RTF) are so common, you can open any of these small documents with Word or any other word processor. Your work is never stored in a proprietary format and can always be recovered — even if Atomic Scribbler is not on the scene.
--- End quote ---
If it's not that, I have no idea why it feels a little slower than I see with other similar programs. If that's something you don't see, then it must presumably be a system variable.

-Dormouse (May 22, 2018, 04:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've been working pretty extensively with that folder, and haven't seen any docx files.  Perhaps they're used for a function that I just don't use - like the notepane.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version