ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2019

NANY 2019: RegexCaptor - Simple app to extract email or other patterns from text

(1/9) > >>

mouser:
This is a very simple beta release of a program to extract email addresses or other regular expressions from text files.

* https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/regexcaptor/downloads/RegexCaptorSetup.exe
* or https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/regexcaptor/downloads/RegexCaptorPortable.zip

Motivation:

This is a very simple task.  I needed to extract email addresses from bounced emails in order to remove them from the donationcoder mailing lists.  This is a fairly simple task for a commandline regular expression extractor tool, but I like to be able to drag+drop and get some visual interaction.

I tried a few "free" tools for doing this and they were ALL adware, shareware, feature limited.  Just horrible.  I don't know when we got to a point where people think they can list software unambiguously as "free" and have it be filled with adware or be horribly crippled until you buy the full version.  :down:

So I decided to write my own tool, with hopes for improving it.  The goals are similar to CodeByters Linebyter which I have used in the past but whose source code was lost.

Again this is a very simple tool, it has a few minor features that make it useful for specific tasks:

* You can create your own list of common regular expression search patterns and select between them easily.
* You can specify a portion of the expression that should be extracted and listed.
* You can specify additional patterns to be ignored (in regex or plaintext format).
* The final list is sorted and duplicates removed.
* Easy to search multiple files; remembers file list.
Again this is a very niche tool but I may add features to it to make it more useful for other tasks.  If you already have a good regular expression "extractor" that you are happy with, this is unlikely to replace it.

IainB:
Oooh! That's rather nifty. Could come in rather handy. Thankyou.

IainB:
Works rather well, and has helpful suggestions/favourites, etc.    :Thmbsup:

By the way:

* it shows up in DcUpdater as:     v1.01.9, with no web version (yet).
* the executable file is shown as: v1.1.2.0
* the GUI "About" says it is:        v1.01.02
* the Help file (Overview) says:          v1.01.01 - Apr 23, 2013 <-- !
* the Help file (Version History) says:   v1.01.01 - Apr 23, 2018

Ath:
Sounds like a useful tool, much more convenient than extracting stuff using notepad++ :Thmbsup:

The goals are similar to CodeByters Linebyter which I have used in the past but whose source code was lost.
-mouser (May 04, 2018, 06:36 PM)
--- End quote ---
That link isn't accessible for me, but that can be just me...

wraith808:
Nope.  Not just you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version