ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Photography and Camera Related

<< < (3/4) > >>

tomos:
-- it is very nice to have someone focus on an area and share with us what they find interesting.
-mouser (May 11, 2018, 02:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
thanks mouser, nice to get the feedback.
Plan to continue as time permits, and as i find stuff of interest. The last post didn't take particularly long to write, but I wasn't happy with the first draft and let it sit a week, then it clicked on the second attempt.

wraith808:
So, I'm not a photographer, though my wife is.  And she made me realize the effects of light on your photographs, no matter what they are.  And so I purchased a light box for taking my keyboard photos.  And it's made such a difference!

I purchased an OrangeMonkie Foldio2, and wanted to recommend it.

https://smile.amazon.com/Orangemonkie-Foldio2-Portable-Lightbox-Smartphone/dp/B013SVNWF2/

It, plus having a separate shutter control (a Just Mobile ShutterGrip - https://just-mobile.com/products/shuttergrip?variant=9787265220650) has changed the quality of even my pictures.

tomos:
belated response wraith,
re smartphone camera accessories:

So, I'm not a photographer, though my wife is.  And she made me realize the effects of light on your photographs, no matter what they are.  And so I purchased a light box for taking my keyboard photos.  And it's made such a difference!

I purchased an OrangeMonkie Foldio2, and wanted to recommend it.-wraith808 (May 12, 2018, 10:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks for the tip :up:

for me the shutter control is of interest:
plus having a separate shutter control (a Just Mobile ShutterGrip - https://just-mobile.com/products/shuttergrip?variant=9787265220650) has changed the quality of even my pictures.
-wraith808 (May 12, 2018, 10:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Re using smartphone for video:
One commenter in the dpreview article about smartphone cameras uses a DJI Osmo Phone Camera gimbal (amazon link) which, if you're not familiar with, is a camera stabiliser used for video. The results look pretty good -- there is a 'bounce' as he walks (he's got to learn to walk without a spring in his step):

Again I'm impressed with the image quality.
Taken with a Samsung S8 according to his comment:
I have completely switched to my Samsung s8 in combination with a DJI Osmo Mobile when shooting video. The files are less robust compared to the files from my Sony a6300 with noticeably less DR [dynamic range] but the easy of use has won me over. I stick my Samsung s8 on my camera [I'm presuming he means on the DJI gimbal] and activate the DJI app and all works really well.
My needs are those of a amateur. I never get paid, my hobby costs me money and so expenditure and ease of use are important factors.
--- End quote ---

tomos:
Gameboy!
I'm no gamer, and never was, but I suspect a few of you remember the Gameboy -- I never knew that at some stage it got a camera:

Back in 1998, Nintendo released an odd accessory for the Game Boy called the Game Boy Camera. Meant to be a light-hearted entertainment device for children, it went on to win the Guinness World Record in 1999 for smallest digital camera and was even used by Neil Young to take photos for the album cover of Silver & Gold.
--- End quote ---

(image via wikipedia)

So, it was a very small camera that made very small images...
In the year 2000, photographer David Friedman used it to take some photos in NY:

apparently the above images have been increased in size by 200%. Originals were 256 x 224 pixels and just 2 bits (although that's just black & white isn't it? images below include grey).

More recently, designer Bastiaan Ekeler decided to attach a monster Canon zoom lens to a Gameboy camera.
His 3D-printed adapter fits to a partially disassembled camera, and with a 1.4x teleconverter and 70-200mm F4 attached, produces an impressive 3026.8mm equivalent view.
--- End quote ---

I *think* that means a 3,000x zoom (?). Amount of zoom is difficult to understand and describe simply, but the zoom does increase proportionally to the size of the sensor i.e. smaller sensor = more zoom, and you're not going to find a much smaller sensor than this one.
Some of the images he made:

Via dpreview

If you're interested in more, the Gameboy also been used for astrophotography

Deozaan:
apparently the above images have been increased in size by 200%. Originals were 256 x 224 pixels and just 2 bits (although that's just black & white isn't it? images below include grey).
-tomos (June 11, 2018, 02:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

1 bit is black and white (true or false). 2 bits is 4 colors, which was the case for all GameBoy games as well. :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version