ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Photography and Camera Related

(1/4) > >>

tomos:
I'll chance starting a topic with some photography and camera related news that I think might be of interest here.

I'm no expert, but do follow a couple of sites, in particular www.dpreview.com and www.imaging-resource.com/
Feel free to contribute.
Not sure whether do it as one link per post, or multiple. (We'll see how it goes.)

EDIT// stripped 'News' out of the title, as the thread, so far, is some news, but also nice pics, and simply 'of interest' posts e.g. how camera sensors work below

tomos:
SmugMug snaps up Flickr, promises 'the future is bright'
Published Apr 23, 2018 -- not much info available as of writing; comments are of interest -- some discussion of alternatives, generally positive comments about Flickr as is.

Tiny micro-camera sensor is self-powered by light
As one of the commenters says: "What's the betting that there is a heat detecting version mooted that will power up as soon as a warm blooded creature is in the vicinity."

Casey Neistat has his own style which you may or may not like, but he does a lot of interesting stuff. Here compares a $35 smartphone zoom lens with a $7,000 super zoom lens (link starts video at 1:12)
https://youtu.be/oGxsEpRWgmg?t=1m12s

rjbull:
I look at DP Review too, and notice they sometimes quote PetaPixel, as if the latter tend to get news first.  But there's a limit to how many sites you can monitor...

tomos:
I look at DP Review too, and notice they sometimes quote PetaPixel, as if the latter tend to get news first.  But there's a limit to how many sites you can monitor...
-rjbull (May 02, 2018, 04:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
that's a good source :up:

e.g. toy photographer Michael Wu
https://petapixel.com/2018/04/23/this-photographer-combines-toys-and-practical-effects/

tomos:
I'm making the mistake of posting pictures I like (above) instead of 'news'. Maybe I should edit thread title...
Here I do that again, but this time plus interesting story, and some science

Photographer Christopher Burkett makes photos with 10" x 8" color negatives (!) printing them using a paper that is no longer produced. The topic is of interest but mainly posting because of the beautiful images, and also because the photographer himself impressed me.

Landscape photographer races to finish decades of work

video starts properly at 0:30
https://youtu.be/hHINDOtFH1A?t=30s

via imaging-resource.com

Vaguely related:

The Science of Camera Sensors [also qualifies for the very interesting thread]

The 13 minute video explains:

How photographic film uses a thin coating of silver halide crystals to capture light.
    The science behind the photodiode that converts light into electrical current for all digital image sensors
    How a Charged Couple Device (or CCD) sensor works, and its pros and cons.
    How a Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor (or CMOS) sensor works, and its pros and cons.

--- End quote ---

as approved by / via dpreview.com

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version